Goonhilly Satellite Sation, Cornwall

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
30 second long exsposure, was taken around midnight on a fuji s9600. ISO had to be bumped quite high (too high really) hence it is a little grainy.

6253_108604228369_108593128369_2223385_761428_n.jpg

Not a bad effect.

As you say it would have been better if the static detail was a bit cleaner.

Thanks, the fuji s9600 wasnt ideal for this shot. Now I have a canon 20D, so if I'm ever down that area again then I may try and recreate the image to improve it :)

On long exposures especially at night it's best to drop your ISO to the lowest setting you can, as this increases your shutter time allowing more light to be recorded by the sensor without increasing more noise that a high ISO adds :)

It's a nice shot i like the purple blue and clouds.

yeah, I did try it at lower ISO but 30seconds is the most the S9600 would do so had to bump the ISO up :(

Hmmm, 30 secs should have done the trick even at ISO 100 I would have thought (though the only fuji experiences I've had is with my trusted old, and still owned S3500!)?

Still its a nice pic though, the only thing I'd change is tweaking the white balance to get the orange out of the clouds (no doubt from a slight bit of light pollution).

The 20D should do a fine job of it, definately worth a re-visit!

Not sure how much of a difference it would make (it was my first attempt at long exposures) but it was taken at around midnight so was pitch black, other than the dish and the building light.
I will try and get down there again at some point :)

Technique apart, Goonhilly Earth Station (as it used to be known) is one of the weirdest, spookiest and most surreal places in this country. Even the name sets the hairs on the back of the neck on end, and the whole place is redolent of 1950s films and the associated paranoia. Apart from the satellite tracking station, there are the remnants of military installations from the World Wars, and Goonhilly and neaby Predannack Downs have a number of Bronze Age sites.

This image, as decent as it is, just doesn't convey that sense of being on the edge of the unknown.

I have to agree, walking around this place (even with a friend) at midnight in complete darkness (except for head torch) was pretty spooky, and the uneven ground didn't help that much either. Next time, I will get there whilst it's still light enough to see without the aid of a torch and set up then :)

Back