Critique Gorgeous beetle.. and some crane fly and a Wasp

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Wow this section is now getting proper busy hard to keep up... sun is shining here today and not had chance to get out and play (n)

All shot with reversed 18-55mm kit lens and OCF setup. No crop.

IMG_8997
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_8914
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_8918
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_8970
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_8953
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_8955
by bthomas124, on Flickr

7. Only angle I had...

IMG_8974
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_8940
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated.

:ty:

All great shots as always imo maybe i should try this reversing ring thing...

All great shots as always imo maybe i should try this reversing ring thing...

I would recommend getting used to what you got first. Think that is the only reason I'm getting what I am. Only recommended @Carlh as he only has tubes.

I would recommend getting used to what you got first. Think that is the only reason I'm getting what I am. Only recommended @Carlh as he only has tubes.

I have tried tubes and iho they are "merde" lol :D
I get your point tho so yes ill keep bashing out photos til i master it better or i can afford a dedicated lens.

I have tried tubes and iho they are "merde" lol :D
I get your point tho so yes ill keep bashing out photos til i master it better or i can afford a dedicated lens.

At some point I should list and photograph all my macro stuff. I haven't mastered any of my kit yet but it did help with using reversed lens... its not as easy as it looks.

Bryn I agree it is hard keeping up with reading the macro section let alone what you doing keeping us supplied with goodies to look at :eek:

Another great set Bryn .... What's best/easiest to master reversing ring or tubes?

Sent from The Moon.....

At some point I should list and photograph all my macro stuff. I haven't mastered any of my kit yet but it did help with using reversed lens... its not as easy as it looks.

That would be good with notes on how close the focus must be & other tips - sorry if I sound demanding :)

Another great set Bryn .... What's best/easiest to master reversing ring or tubes?

Sent from The Moon.....

A dedicated lens but HOW MUCH :eek::eek::eek:

Sent from The Moon.....

Tubes definately tubes. Did I say definately?

Only reason I tried reverse was because of @simon ess so you can blame him.... wanted higher magnification than I was getting.

So simply put the higher the magnification the harder it gets. :D

That would be good with notes on how close the focus must be & other tips - sorry if I sound demanding :)

Sorry think that may have to wait until winter John. Not got time for those experiments.

But at 55mm and infinity focus you can be say 30 odd cm away at a guess. But for 18mm at closest focus about 1-2 inches

Sorry think that may have to wait until winter John. Not got time for those experiments.

But at 55mm and infinity focus you can be say 30 odd cm away at a guess. But for 18mm at closest focus about 1-2 inches

My problem with taking macro is not being flexible & being able to crouch down so I can find stuff but can't get as near as I need to be. Someone suggested a Sigma 150mm so I can have further away but at £700 - URGH. So looking but not able to do much taking :(

I have the ring, tried it once got a blurry mess so threw it down in a sulk!.. Think I need to practice maybe on a surface first to get steadier, might venture in to my jungle garden today and see

Sent from The Moon.....

Actually might want to look at second hand Tamron 180mm should be half that price at least.

Actually might want to look at second hand Tamron 180mm should be half that price at least.

Sooooo many options but I'm moving home in 8 days time & that is taking a lot of time & £££' s but 95% packed thank goodness but always have time for a read on here. Also will have a garden again for first time in 5/6 years so hoping I can find a few odds & ends to look at/shoot :)

Only the MP-E can match the magnification I'm getting. So that would be £600-£700. Nothing I can afford at the moment.

you could come close with a 1:1 macro lens combined with some tubes and a teleconverter - the trick is to put the TC on the camera with the tubes between it and the lens. I did once stack several teleconverters for much higher mag but that led to a very narrow apperture and it wasnt the sharpest.

Of course you can also reverse a lens onto the front of a Macro Lens for the best of both worlds - or build yourself a bellows set up with a sliding stage for focussing (though of course that is limited to static subjects so its not much for bugs and beasties unless you chill them first )

My problem with taking macro is not being flexible & being able to crouch down so I can find stuff but can't get as near as I need to be. Someone suggested a Sigma 150mm so I can have further away but at £700 - URGH. So looking but not able to do much taking :(

a 90mm Macro and a 2xTc is a more cost effective option - okay so that limits you to f5.6 and up but I don't find that to be too big an issue. Also on the flexibility thing - doing studio set macro may be an answer - so you can set stuff up on a table and work from a comfortable sitting position

Last edited:
a 90mm Macro and a 2xTc is a more cost effective option - okay so that limits you to f5.6 and up but I don't find that to be too big an issue. Also on the flexibility thing - doing studio set macro may be an answer - so you can set stuff up on a table and work from a comfortable sitting position

Thanks Peter it's just a question of getting myself sorted & when I move in 8 days I will be back to having a real garden not just gravel & will have more time as the past few weeks have been sorting out/packing type of jobs. The 90mm + 2xTC is another option for me to research :clap:

Thanks Peter it's just a question of getting myself sorted & when I move in 8 days I will be back to having a real garden not just gravel & will have more time as the past few weeks have been sorting out/packing type of jobs. The 90mm + 2xTC is another option for me to research :clap:

Not sure that would be cheaper than the 180mm also you won't lose light.

@big soft moose I have lots of setups and 2 full tubes on Tamron 90mm gives me 2.9:1 magnification. Not put on TC 1.4X on there also you get major issues with light bounce in the tubes. But as you can imagine it is rather large, however the 18-55mm with 4:1 magnification.... only get 4:1 as have mini tube on there a 58 to 52mm converter is tiny and light.

Ummm shall I put the 1.4X TC on my reversed setup interesting will try it.

Last edited:
Not sure that would be cheaper than the 180mm also you won't lose light.

That depends on whether you already have a 90mm ! (if not then yes a 180mm is the way to go - not least because you can add a 2xtc and have an efective 360mm 1:1 ;) )

@big soft moose you get major issues with light bounce in the tubes. .

Are your tubes not matted on the inside ? - My kenko set are and Ive never had a light bounce problem (apart from the time i tried to use a pringles tube). Incidentally are you using a speed graphic coupler on your reversed lens (to retain metering and so forth ? )

That depends on whether you already have a 90mm ! (if not then yes a 180mm is the way to go - not least because you can add a 2xtc and have an efective 360mm 1:1 ;) )

Are your tubes not matted on the inside ? - My kenko set are and Ive never had a light bounce problem (apart from the time i tried to use a pringles tube). Incidentally are you using a speed graphic coupler on your reversed lens (to retain metering and so forth ? )

I have a kenko set and another set. Kenko set doesn't suffer as much as the other set.

Will check out speed graphic coupler, been looking for what it's called is it for Canon? Does it allow you to set aperture?

I know the mods arent keen on creating new sections, but Imo we need a talk macro and close up sub forum , to seperate discussion like this from the crit threads (pretty please with jaffa cakes and chocolate sprinkles )

Yep I regret selling mine ( I naively thought i wouldnt need it if I had a macro lens so i sold it to fund getting a tamron 90mm)

Course an old lens with an apperture ring and a handheld meter would be a lot cheaper , but I could spend a lot of money at speed graphic its like toyshop for macro people

Yep I regret selling mine ( I naively thought i wouldnt need it if I had a macro lens so i sold it to fund getting a tamron 90mm)

Course an old lens with an apperture ring and a handheld meter would be a lot cheaper , but I could spend a lot of money at speed graphic its like toyshop for macro people

Still need to look into old Lens... I'm really happy with reversed lens at the moment though infact not picked any other equipment for the last 5 shoots. Though I do love my Tammy.

Pete @big soft moose so much on the speed graphic website I want damn nam it... thanks though and yes agreed a section for talk macro is needed lots of unique setups that could be helpful to newbies appear on here but are likely missed due to the rate threads are created.

Pete @big soft moose so much on the speed graphic website I want damn nam it... thanks though and yes agreed a section for talk macro is needed lots of unique setups that could be helpful to newbies appear on here but are likely missed due to the rate threads are created.

Well why don't you grovel on your hands & knees with a few Jaffa's :jaffa::jaffa::jaffa: & ask the powers that be :clap::clap::clap: as I couldn't agree more. I find it quite hard to keep up with this section & thought I'd made note of all the findings but can't find where I kept my bloody notes :mad:

Back