Gorillapod

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone feel safe trusting their camera to a Gorillapod?
I have one I bought to use with my creative compact, but never been brave enough to trust it. I always end up holding the tripod because I don't believe it will stay up on its own.:nikon:

I believe you can buy bigger versions to handle dslr and longer lenses, not sure what the weight handling is like though.

I've been looking at Gorillapods. The biggest one (the Gorillapod SLR-Zoom) is a pretty sturdy beast. It's rated at 3kg, so in theory even a heavy zoom like a 70-200mm f/2.8 or a 100-400mm isn't even close to its design limits. Even so, I'm not 100% sure I'd trust it with a £1000+ lens - but it should be fine for a compact camera!

I've got the SLR zoom one, and use it with my 400D (arguably without any heavy lenses, as I've only got a kit lens and a Tamron one) and it's great. I used it wrapped round a gate last weekend with my camera hanging horizontal, parallel to the ground, to take some photos of a windfarm, and there was no chance of it falling off. You may find that it 'moves' more than you like it to, ie it's not as rigid as a proper tripod, but it comes in handy in awkward situations. Hope that helps!! :)

I've been looking at Gorillapods. The biggest one (the Gorillapod SLR-Zoom) is a pretty sturdy beast. It's rated at 3kg, so in theory even a heavy zoom like a 70-200mm f/2.8 or a 100-400mm isn't even close to its design limits. Even so, I'm not 100% sure I'd trust it with a £1000+ lens - but it should be fine for a compact camera!

I have one of these, and for the money I think they are well worth it. I took the shot below while on holiday with it clamped to the balcony rail. I was using a 5D and a
sigma 24-70. And I wouldn't trust it with anything heavier
than that.

IMG_0061.jpg

Used my Joby, zoom slr one on my D200 and 70-200mm F2.8 sigma, i'd say its sturdy, but i wouldn't move my hands far away from it...

Looks like vecsri is the winner so far, with a D200 and a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 - that combo weighs about 2.25kg.

Can anyone beat that? Does anybody have any experience of a Gorillapod not holding up?

Does anyone feel safe trusting their camera to a Gorillapod?
I have one I bought to use with my creative compact, but never been brave enough to trust it. I always end up holding the tripod because I don't believe it will stay up on its own.:nikon:

The problem I find when using my small gorillapod on my creative compact is nothing seems to stabilize. It's far to bendy. I had a look at the big one in Jessops yesterday, but with my experience with the small one, I still don't think I would be brave enough to trust my DSLR to it. I wonder how many gorillapods there are in the world lying around with the camera still attached to it?:thinking:

I have one of these, and for the money I think they are well worth it. I took the shot below while on holiday with it clamped to the balcony rail. I was using a 5D and a
sigma 24-70. And I wouldn't trust it with anything heavier
than that.

IMG_0061.jpg

I bet you still had your hand at the ready waiting to catch it!

Back