Gorrila Pods

Depends on the size you et. here s a DSLR-sized one available - I use it to attach my flash to things but have never tried it with my D200.

The SLR Zoom version should be OK, as should the Focus. You'll probably want a head as well - it can be quite awkward getting the Gorillapods perfectly alligned so it's easier to set the thing up solidly then adjust camera aim and angles with a head.

They can be useful, but how good they are depends on the model you use and the camera you have. I wouldn't use them for long exposures by themselves, I don't think they are stable enough. They are useful as an additional support with reasonable exposures. I've used one for exposures up to 1/2second but only as a support, whilst I held the camera, not as a tripod. For hanging flash units on in unusual positions they are excellent

I have the Zoom SLR, onto which I fitted a manfrotto ball head. Unfortunately, the additional height of the ball head raises the fulcrum of the cameras' weight far enough that it sags with the weight of a 50D and a 24-105 on it. Without the ball head it works fine with a 100-400, but is a pain to align.

All in all; no substitute for a tripod, but better than nothing!

Back