Got a 2x Teleconverter today

Name
Richard Black
Edit My Images
Yes
Quite good fun really. Cheaper than a 400mm any way lol

Only problem is you loose a few apature stops.

Probably gonna get one when I get my 70-200.

Yeh it goes to 5.6 throughout :(

Never mind ... Im sure with all these super high non-noisey ISO numbers you can get fast enough speeds for what you want.

Id love to hear how you get on with it. (y)

What do you mean Janice? I only got it to try it out really and have it there just incase.

Well I was assuming you had a new bit of kit... which I have been thinking about buying and was hoping you would tell us how it performs once youve used it a bit.

ahh i meant the iso bit.
I used it today outside but light was getting low, i used it on iso1600. If i'd had a D300 that would have been ok, but with the D200 it wasn't rigth chuffed i dont think.
Tomorrow if its sunny i shall try some of ingleborough.

I shall look forward to seeing the results... is it a nikon or a sigma?

I shall look forward to seeing the results... is it a nikon or a sigma?

Nikon Janice.

What are the other problems?

You lose a couple of stops and a slight degradation in quality.

Just picked one up too, suprised by the size difference between the Canon and Kenko ones.

You may be disappointed I'm afraid in addition to losing 2 f-stops and degradation of image there are problems with AF and A1servo. A 2xTC isn't a good photographic solution if you intend to shoot long predominantly for the odd one off OK but don't expect super results.

Bill

I'd be using mine for the odd occasion. When you say you have problems with AF / AI Servo can you elaborate please? Is this a general problem or just for you? Which bodies are affected? I know the 5D focuses fine with the TC as it handles lesser apetures before it loses AF.

Whether you lose AF or not depends on the camera body and the max aperture of the lens in use.

Series 1 Canon bodies will still AF with a 2XTC as long as the effective aperture with the TC fitted is f8 or larger.

All other Canon bodies will still AF as long as the effective aperture is f5.6 or larger.

The 2X TC loses 2 whole aperture stops.

A good example is the 70-200mm f2.8, which with the 2X TC fitted becomes an f5.6 lens, so will AF on any Canon body.

The f4 version of of the lens would become an effective f8 lens so would only AF on a 1 Series body.

My 70-200mm F2.8 still auto ofcus's on my D200. SDo not all bad.

Unless it was an emergency I wouldn't use any 2x converter on any zoom lens. As mentioned, you will loose 2 stops of lights, if you have a pro series body you will still get AF but it will be at the pace of a snail and you can forget it if you want to track anything that is moving. Image quality with a 2x and zoom will also take a bit hit too. IMO the 2x converters only work on the big wide aperture prime lenses. For example, I use a Canon 2x on my 500/4 IS and I can just about track a bird in flight with it however if I fail to keep the AF point on target the AF will not refocus quick enough. Just my 2p worth.

Unless it was an emergency I wouldn't use any 2x converter on any zoom lens. As mentioned, you will loose 2 stops of lights, if you have a pro series body you will still get AF but it will be at the pace of a snail and you can forget it if you want to track anything that is moving. Image quality with a 2x and zoom will also take a bit hit too. IMO the 2x converters only work on the big wide aperture prime lenses. For example, I use a Canon 2x on my 500/4 IS and I can just about track a bird in flight with it however if I fail to keep the AF point on target the AF will not refocus quick enough. Just my 2p worth.

Some excellent points Alisair, you can't beat a bit of experience in these matters :)

I use a 1.4 TC on a 70-200 F2.8 lens (sigma) and was considering a 2 xTC, and although was aware of the image degradation, I didn't consider the hit on AF, particuarly on tracking subjects.

Ah well-back to the drawing board

You may be disappointed I'm afraid in addition to losing 2 f-stops and degradation of image there are problems with AF and A1servo.

You don't only lose 2 stops and 'gain' image softening: TCs also increase and introduce flare and chromatic abberation (a.k.a. purple fringeing).

To me, a TC would be a very last resort.

I'd be using mine for the odd occasion. When you say you have problems with AF / AI Servo can you elaborate please? Is this a general problem or just for you? Which bodies are affected? I know the 5D focuses fine with the TC as it handles lesser apetures before it loses AF.

I think Alistair quite kindly answered your question.

Bill

I agree with most that's been said here, although I think the Canon 2XTC gets a bad rep it doesn't deserve. This converter should only be used behind a quality prime lens when I think it can produce quite remarkable results all things considered.

Both these shots are with the 500mm f4L and 2XTC (1000mm)

I agree that for action shots the AF system becomes painfully slow though.

OY8N7633-01.jpg

OY8N7610-01.jpg

Getting back to Canon ;)

I've got a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 on a 30D. I bought a Kenko Pro 2x TC to play with and find that optically it gives me acceptable shots but the AF is very hit and miss , infact If the subject is moving at all it's a miss.

but it does give me 140-400 f5.6 in full manual mode and we know that AF is for n00bs :D

Back