Got any tips on creating a moody sky?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a picture that I took on a pretty nasty day - I want to bring the clouds out more. Any one got any good cloud tips please?

Chris

In levels bring down the black and grey sliders,

You could try simply adding a grad, over the sky. Depends as to what is in the sky area if this is practical. You could use the Quick selection tools to select the clouds and add some density and maybe colour, possibly a bit of curves adjustment. Another technique would be to use a mask and make the adjustments that way. Without seeing a typical picture it's difficult to comment.

All this supposes that there is some detail in the clouds. If the are blown out then it's going to be difficult

original.jpg

A bit of cloning and resized to get on the screen. The image looks a bit washed out, but I can fix that. I am trying, rather unsuccessfully to bring a bit more out of the sky. Any ideas?

Thought it would be easier to put up the picture!

Chris

pic.jpg

Added a Neutral grad layer plus a Blue grad layer and changed the layer mode to overlay

moody_sky.jpg

Duplicate the background layer, set blend mode to multiply to darken the sky. Add a layer mask and use the gradient tool to create a mask.

Do the same as above to create another duplicate layer, but set to overlay to brighten the foreground, create another mask to bring back the sky.

Back