Got my Canonet, but...

Edit My Images
Yes
I got the Canonet QL17 GIII I bought from America (eBay).

Description by the seller (over 1500 feedback at 100% positive):
"It is in working condition, very clean, No dings or dents. Looks good. Lenses appear nice and clean, shutter works just fine. Inside very clean. You also get the Canon Canolite D Flash. A nice vintage camera. Just add new battery."

Thing is:
1) The shutter is very sticky if you don't use it for a few hours. You have to take a couple of shots at high shutter speed to free it up (looks like the blades have a bit of oil on them).
2) It's anything but clean inside - lots of old foam gunk everywhere (although to be fair, I expected this and already ordered a foam kit)
3) The shutter speed ring isn't quited aligned properly. For example it has to point between 4 and 8 to get the 4 setting (same for other speeds). You can tell someone has tried to pry the lens off in the past. When looking from the inside, some of the metal around the lens has clearly been scraped quite badly.
4) Although the meter seems to be working OK, the scale in the viewfinder is almost impossible to see. The picture itself is nice and bright/sharp, but the exposure/aperture scale is very very faint and blurry. I can't tell if the needle is moving, because I can't see it!
5) The flash doesn't work! Tried a few sets of batteries and cleaned the contacts but there's still no function and no high pitched charging sound.

So, to the experts... What do you think? Am I expecting too much from an old camera? Should I just accept its flaws and work around them? Postage costs make it pointless to send back, really.

I got a 1965 (I think) Canonet from someone on here. I had a slight problem with it so took it to my local independent camera shop - the shutter wasn't firing, turns out it's possible to knock the delay mechanism slightly so that both it and the shutter don't work but it's easy to correct once you know how - anyway this is a long-winded way of getting to their comments about Canonets which was: Basically if they're looked after they'll last forever.

Oh and they 'fixed' it for free because they enjoyed having a look over it. I'd recommend finding a decent camera shop to give it a look over to see if the lens problems for example can be corrected.

I now leave the floor open to those who know what they're talking about.

An update to this...

The shutter stopped working altogether. You can see it tries to move but is stuck in place. Also the shutter speed ring seems worse than before - it never sits in the right place, which sometimes locks the shutter button.

I emailed the eBay seller - he has offered me a 60% refund! Very happy with that, it should be enough that I can sell it on for parts or maybe pay for some repairs without making a loss.

I guess that's why he has such good feedback :clap:

That's good to know. Hopefully you'll be able to find someone to fix it.

bob...the problem clearly is a dirty shutter that needs cleaning. The cleaning itself is pretty easy, you can do it at home with a nail polish remover, or something equivalent. The problem is accessing the shutter assembly.
From what I remembered reading, its rather difficult to access the shutter in a canonet (i.e you have to open up quite a bit, unlike say Konica S2, where its very easy to access). So any repair will be expensive due to the charges of manhour.
It also looks like you need cleaning of the VF/RF assembly and shutter ring. This means a complete dismantling of the camera, cleaning and putting it back. This assuming your meter is working ok.
No idea what it costed it; but if you are something like 10-20 £ out of pocket, I would suggest you sell this one off as spares and get another camera.

Ujjwal

did some looking up on the net and here is what i found:

Getting deep into the lens assembly to disassemble and clean the shutter and aperture blades is not advised. Granted cleaning after a complete teardown is better, some Canonets were assembled very tightly and damage can be done trying to loosen several major components. The lens element housings themselves are sometimes also very tight. And often the leatherette is nearly impossible to peel off without tearing. All in all NOT a friendly camera to tinker on.

Back