Got myself a monopod. But,,,,,

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so I get myself a Manfrotto 679B monopod but realised that it needed a head as well :bang:

So I picked up a cheap ball head from Jessops for about £9 which will do for now. However I realised that for the majority of my work I use the camera in portrait mode, and my 70-300 doesn't have a collar.

Is there any "device" that allows you to mount the camera in the portrait position onto a tripod/monopod ?

Thanks...

Steve

I made an 'L' bracket up for a guy with a similar problem.

I thought/hoped the 'But.....' was going to be that it won't stand up by itself !!!

:D:D:D

However, your ball & socket should tilt to 90 degrees, but seeing as you're asking I'm guessing it doesn't - so - buy a better one that does is the simplest answer

In fact I have one here I don't use as it's not big enough for my D2Xs, it's gathering dust, it's a Uniloc 25 - see if it'll fit your camera ok and there's a deal in the offing!

(y)

DD

Hi Dave,

I can tilt the camera 90 degrees on the head, but then the centre of gravity is to one side and the monopod becomes unstable (if you know what I mean :wacky:).

I want to get the camera in portrait mode but keeping the CoG through the monopod if possible..

admirable,

I had thought of making a bracket, but I'm crap at that sort of thing...

Steve

Hi Dave,

I can tilt the camera 90 degrees on the head, but then the centre of gravity is to one side and the monopod becomes unstable (if you know what I mean :wacky:).

I want to get the camera in portrait mode but keeping the CoG through the monopod if possible..

admirable,

I had thought of making a bracket, but I'm crap at that sort of thing...

Steve

Unstable? A monopod is always unstable - you just lean it to one side to compensate

I think you're over complicating the idea m8 - if you can already achieve 'portrait' mode, just live with it in my opinion as that's what all normal monopod & head users do

DD

Unstable? A monopod is always unstable - you just lean it to one side to compensate

I think you're over complicating the idea m8 - if you can already achieve 'portrait' mode, just live with it in my opinion as that's what all normal monopod & head users do

DD

But if you have a biggish lens - why struggle?

The 70-200VR is practically unusable on the D3 without the collar mount on it on my monopod. Especially when shooting none stop for about 7 hours!

I have no other solution for the lens, but I symapthise with your problem!!

There are various goodies available here to tilt the camera through 90 degrees that would do the job, but to be honest, I'm thinking if you spent under a tenner on a head then an £80 cradle probably won't be next on your shopping list.....

I have the same monopod, i use a 488RC4 ball head with it and a 70-300mm lens without a collar and it's fine, i think you may just need to get a decent ballhead, as those cheap ones from jessops are just not good enough for that monopod, you could always try getting one second hand.

Your looking at the problem the wrong way !!!!!

you don't have a collar on the lens.......so go out and buy a new lens :D

Much better than a ball head ;)

I bought a collar for my 70-200 L from ebay for about £20, on the lens it looks perfect, works well and will take the strain off of the cameras tripod socket.

You may need to measure the diameter of the lens and select a suitable collar if it is not a normally supported lens, but I am sure you will find something to suit. Search tripod collar, lens collar or tripod mount ring.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't an issue paying for a decent head (as long as I can use it on a tripod as well). However, the head isn't the issue here, I'm trying to get the camera in portrait mode AND still keep it in line with the monopod.

The 70-300 doesn't have the room for a collar, as it will restrict you closing the lens back down to low end of the zoom. However, I don't see that as a problem, as I'm usually at +200mm on it anyway.

So, where can I pick up a collar for the 70-300 f4-5.6, IS USM ???

Thanks for your input...

Steve

I'm trying to get the camera in portrait mode AND still keep it in line with the monopod.

I can't see what you mean here, if you put the camera on the monopod with say a ball head, to have it in portrait mode it still has to go 90 degrees to either to the left or right of the monopod, which is the way i have it on mine if used in portrait mode, or am i missing something :thinking:

Arca-style L-plate and a matching platform, didn't Flash link to some above? You can mount the camera in portrait in the same way as you normally do for landscape.

I can't see what you mean here, if you put the camera on the monopod with say a ball head, to have it in portrait mode it still has to go either to the left or right of the monopod, which is the way i have it on mine if used in portrait mode, or am i missing something :thinking:

No, you're not missing anything, I just would prefer to have the camera in line with the tripod, it will balance better, that's all...

And I can hand hold the 70-300 (and often do) but I haven't got the steadiest of hands, and at full length it's f5.6. Even at 1600 ISO I'm sometimes struggling to keep the shutter speed above 1/350.

No, you're not missing anything, I just would prefer to have the camera in line with the tripod, it will balance better, that's all...

And I can hand hold the 70-300 (and often do) but I haven't got the steadiest of hands, and at full length it's f5.6. Even at 1600 ISO I'm sometimes struggling to keep the shutter speed above 1/350.

I've just looked at that website flash mentioned and can't see anything on there which would be any good, i have the same problem with unsteady hands myself so know exactly where your coming from, but i think it's just something i will have to live with, i guess an alternative would be to have somethig custom made and i guess your talking big bangers for that, or try and knock something up yourself :shrug:

I know exactly what you mean. And for those who think that a monopod is just to prevent camera shake they obviously haven't done any sustained photography with a larger lens! Monpods are brliilaint even if you're only using it to take the weight of the camera and lens.

As for heads, now I've sold my 80-200 f/2.8 I no longer have the issue you do, but I would suggest that an 'L' bracket is the only way forward. I used to use a ball head, but it does unbalance the monopod.

However I realised that for the majority of my work I use the camera in portrait mode, and my 70-300 doesn't have a collar.

Am in exactly the same position as you. I will buy a Manfrotto 234RC when I purchase my monopod...

Ahh ignore I just read your comment on wanting the COG over the Monopod.

Whats wrong with the Manfrotto 393 head ? (y)

You mean this one ?

Still doesn't solve the problem. I can't see how I can run the camera in portrait without a lens collar.....

I think the answer is to get a bigger lens :D

Steve

Ah, now I see the problem, so maybe you could get away with a 322 head, as it's a grip ball it might work, just a thought :shrug:(y)

You mean this one ?

Still doesn't solve the problem. I can't see how I can run the camera in portrait without a lens collar.....

I think the answer is to get a bigger lens :D

Steve

A monopod is naturally unstable wherever the load on the top is - it's the user that provides the other 2 legs that make the whole setup more stable. While it may seem more logical to have the load over the top of the 'pod, it really doesn't make any difference so a simple head like the Manfrotto 234 is all you need. There's nothing to stop you from getting an "L" bracket or similar but IMO, it'll be a waste of money. A decent, sturdy tripod will be able to handle the head being switched from landscape to portrait as well - as long as the centre of gravity of the camera/lens combo is within the footprint of the tripod's feet.

In all honesty I think you'd be better of with a lightish tripod, like, say a Manfrotto 190XPROB and a decent head

Thanks for all the suggestions, but for the sort of money these people ask for an "L" bracket, I'll learn to go without....

The monopod was only £35, I can't see the point of paying over £100 for a bracket.....

Steve

Back