Got The Bug--DOMES

I love these domes! I would definitely llike to have a go at this one day.

The second one for me is let down by the patio table set blocking the view of the big orb. My eye is also drawn to the light in the top right corner, I may have possibly cropped this out

One of these days someone is going to have to explain to me how the domes are done.

One of these days someone is going to have to explain to me how the domes are done.

Its a bike wheel, with lights every other spoke or so, with an axle, on the centre, like a peg but longer, the radius of the wheel, then just give it a push, and it rotates on the axis (y) easy,

Its a bike wheel, with lights every other spoke or so, with an axle, on the centre, like a peg but longer, the radius of the wheel, then just give it a push, and it rotates on the axis (y) easy,

Ok...remember, I'm a girl.....going to take me a while to translate that into "girlese" :LOL:

So you set the wheel spinning on the pivot pole like a spinning top or have i got this wrong?

Its like in the position in the photos, and just give it a gentle push and it rotates on the axis, years ago we used them extensively in a circus I was in, thats how I lnew how Andy had done them when he first posted photos

Last edited:
Its like in the position in the photos, and just give it a gentle push and it rotates on the axis, years ago we used them extensively in a circus I was in, thats how I lnew how Andy had done them when he first posted photos

Thanks Dave, its clear how its works now. ;)

Thanks Dave, its clear how its works now. ;)

Nice one, we used fire at first but that doesnt make domes, when I was in the circus, we mainly used fire and spinning them and balancing them until LED came along the we used those, for balancing and spinning, strobe lights helped create the domes, as a visual, without a camera, but its fab doing long exposures with the camera, and being able to capture the effect without other lighting

Last edited:
Soooooo.....

Bike wheel - Halfords (cost £0)....Check
Dowling - Homebase (cost £0)....Check
LED lights - Homebase (cost £2.99)...Check

A clue what I'm doing?....We'll see :LOL:

Soooooo.....

Bike wheel - Halfords (cost £0)....Check
Dowling - Homebase (cost £0)....Check
LED lights - Homebase (cost £2.99)...Check

A clue what I'm doing?....We'll see :LOL:

Your pictures - priceless (y)

I made a dome!!!! Woohoo!!
It's a crappy shot and I've spent the morning refining the "hardware".
If the rain holds up attempt 2 will be this evening :)

I like this idea I think I will give it a go, thanks

I did it Clive!! Now I just have to "refine" lol...Thanks for the info.

Back