Beginner Got the following Canon lens now what camera

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
After some advice My better half wants to start photography
we have the following lens (came from my late brother)

EF-S 18-55mm 1: 3.5-5.6, EF 50mm 1: 1.8 75-300mm 1: 4-56

EF 50-200MM 1: 3.5-4.5 & EF 35-80mm 1: 4-5.6

we have a 350D but she says its too old o_O

so what body should I get her, she will be taking shots of the dog/ family yes in that order

I use Nikon, looks like we are going to have feet in both camps so can I post these :canon::nikon: ;)

budget will play a large part of upgrade how much are you thinking ?

forgot that part I'll say up to £500 it doesn't have to be a new body I'll look at 2nd hand ones

The 350D is a great camera for anyone:

All taken recently with my 350D.

0111.jpg 0046.jpg 0102.jpg

And the 50mm f1.8 is a cracking lens for indoor and outdoor family shots.

Personally I would recommend keeping the camera and also buying the 28-135mm IS USM lens which would, IMO, be ideal.

Once your better half has learned to use it then, after a few years, look for a better camera.

And I'm not being facetious, it took me about 5 years until I felt I needed to move on from the 350D.

Last edited:
to start off the 350D is fine ..

Although fine for most things, if she wants to take photos of the dog running about the AF and FPS on the 350D could be lacking. You could easily get a used 7D (with great AF and 7 FPS) and another lens (55-250?) in budget. I moved on from my first camera, a 450D, for exactly those reasons.

7D s/h you will be looking around £300-£350

Perhaps a more appropriate lens may be the missing link? It's always fun to upgrade and get nicer, newer cameras, but often this is just a case of want rather than need.
I myself am guilty, so not judging. But from what you have said about requirements, a new idea is not going to be the answer.

That's a bunch of ho-hum lenses and I agree with Alex but I'd sell everything and look to replace them with ether a decent zoom and a prime or two primes.

As to bodies, one thing that influenced me when I had Canon DSLR's was the maximum shutter speed. Many cameras are limited to 1/4000 but I much preferred 1/8000 for good light wide aperture shooting, messing about with ND's just isn't for me.

Actually what I personally would do is sell everything and go mirrorless. Mirrorless is IMO the future so might as well go that way now possibly again with either a variable aperture standard zoom and a prime or two primes and a generation or two old used body.

Back