Gower Meet - Photos

Name
Gerald Davies
Edit My Images
Yes
These are my best efforts from a miserable evening and overcast morning on the Gower meet.

Oxwich Bay Sunrise
Gower_tp_meet_for_web_site1.jpg

Worms Head
Gower_tp_meet_for_web_site2.jpg

C&C Welcome as ever

1st doesnt do anything for me due to lack of detail and focal point, but the 2nd is nice. Great sand and water remains!

I agree with the above that #2 is the best of the brace. The illumination gives it a lovely mood which coupled with the simple composition makes it a winner! (y)

#1 ain't bad but doesn't spring to life in the same way as #2 so is a victim of comparison.

Sorry to buck the trend here (actually I'm not!)

But #1 is a cracking shot that needs a wee bit of cropping/straightening IMO

Taxi_2.jpg

Whereas #2 is flat as a fart and needs a serious crop to make it a more interesting 'pano'

Either way, you shouldn't be sorry for light like this

Taxii_1.jpg

DD

(y)Definitley Oxwich for me. Its a nice shot, and captures the mood of the place. I know it well, my daughter got married there.
Why is it that everyone is obsessed with trying to straighten the horizon on the sea. Don't they realize that the Earth isn't flat and on a wild angle seascape you will always see the curvature of the Earth. Those who think its flat, just try sitting on the beach and observing.:nono:

(y)Definitley Oxwich for me. Its a nice shot, and captures the mood of the place. I know it well, my daughter got married there.
Why is it that everyone is obsessed with trying to straighten the horizon on the sea. Don't they realize that the Earth isn't flat and on a wild angle seascape you will always see the curvature of the Earth. Those who think its flat, just try sitting on the beach and observing.:nono:

Straightening seas - I totally agree - a wide shot will always capture the natural curvature of the earth

Same with buildings, why make them upright

Well, a curve on both side need to be at the same height to be 'level' as a horizon even though it bulges in the middle

I've sat on many a beach for many a long time, and the dip on the left is always the same height as the dip on the right unless the Ouzo has bitten too strongly

Why make a horizon level? Cos it's natural that way - that's why

DD

Straightening seas - I totally agree - a wide shot will always capture the natural curvature of the earth

Same with buildings, why make them upright

Well, a curve on both side need to be at the same height to be 'level' as a horizon even though it bulges in the middle

I've sat on many a beach for many a long time, and the dip on the left is always the same height as the dip on the right unless the Ouzo has bitten too strongly

Why make a horizon level? Cos it's natural that way - that's why

DD

Yes Dave, I know that an horizon is always level and that the curve at both sides need to be at the same height to be level but that is when we are talking about the sea. In the photo of Oxwich you have tried to straighten out the land which is actually in a curvature around the bay. :bang:

As for buildings being upright, when looking straight on, the uprights should be vertical,unless of course you are looking at some of the buildings in Wales:LOL:, but if looking up from ground level they will appear to become narrower towards the top due to the principle of perspective.:LOL:

The former is only tru if you know the bay - to all others, it's not straight !!!

:LOL:

Welsh buildings are not vertical as they dug for coal under many of them a bit - in our area, everything is on pit-props, so when we drop we drop evenly !!!

Hereabouts, a 'right-angle' means "WOW - that's a right angle all right!!!" meaning anything +/- 20 degrees to the vertical

DD

The former is only tru if you know the bay - to all others, it's not straight !!!

Welsh buildings are not vertical as they dug for coal under many of them a bit - in our area, everything is on pit-props, so when we drop we drop evenly !!!

Hereabouts, a 'right-angle' means "WOW - that's a right angle all right!!!" meaning anything +/- 20 degrees to the vertical

DD

Likewise - you should see my hubbys shed. Even Photoshop would have a job straightening it.:LOL::woot:

A couple of cracking shots there, but have to say Diddydaves edits do them better justice. Nice edit mate.

DiddyDave thanks for the edited photos.

With the 1st, I'm going to have to agree with HWG as there is a natural curve to Oxwich bay. Easy mistake to with the horizon on that one.

With the 2nd photo, I to prefer my edit, I just feel that there is a little more interest in the foreground.

Your comments are much appreciated. I did find the light a little challenging as its the first time I've tried to take vistas in those lighting conditions.

HWG, I take it the wedding was at the hotel? It's a cracking shot place to get married, especially if you are lucky to get a nice sunny day. Although I could think of worse places even if it was raining.

Thanks everyone for their comments

DiddyDave thanks for the edited photos.

With the 1st, I'm going to have to agree with HWG as there is a natural curve to Oxwich bay. Easy mistake to with the horizon on that one.

With the 2nd photo, I to prefer my edit, I just feel that there is a little more interest in the foreground.

Your comments are much appreciated. I did find the light a little challenging as its the first time I've tried to take vistas in those lighting conditions.

HWG, I take it the wedding was at the hotel? It's a cracking shot place to get married, especially if you are lucky to get a nice sunny day. Although I could think of worse places even if it was raining.

Thanks everyone for their comments

Yes taxi it was at the hotel. The weather was gorgeous, it was about 10 years ago, and she lives on the Mumbles now.(y)

Im in love with No1.. but both are excellent!! well done my friend.. (y)

I must admit that I prefer DDs edits. But it was definitely worth you getting up for :)

(y)

Hi fraggle101 thanks for the comments.

Bom, it was worth the effort, learned a few thinks along the way as well, unlike some of us who stayed in bed. Not to mention any names

Back