GPRS datacard woes

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Vodafone 3g datacard which i use in my laptop to connect the the internet, and i've always been mystified by ploads and downloads which go on while i'm not doing anything. As it's GPRS, i should be able to download emails, send pics etc, then leave it connected without worry about running up a bill, but there is a constant streamof downlaods going on.

I have just set up a brand new dell for a mate with a similar sytem, vodafone 3g, etc, and it works just as it should, idle when not doing any internet activity.

I am sure it some software that is causing it but can't work out what. I've turned off all windows updates, but it still does it?

Any ideas

Have you got a firewall? if not get one, if so have a look to see what programs it is allowing to access the net.

Yeah, difference between WAP and GPRS - with WAP you pay per minute, whereas with GPRS you pay for the amount of data you download - normally a fixed rate per MB.

If you're sucking up bandwidth while supposedly idling, you deffo have a problem somewhere.

Try going through your tasklist and checking it against this.

[edit] It might be a BitTorrent client or something? Had all manner of problems with these...

that's a damn good link GfK, thanks, i'll try it out. I'll also check the firewall Steep, thanks

Back