Grabbing a domain name

dlh

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I am after a particular domain whose current registration ends in march and i'm pretty sure is unlikely to be renewed (due to a change of business name).

Does anyone know of any registration companies that will sit and wait for the domain to become free and scoop it up for me as soon as it is available? I'm sure I've seen this service offered but I can't seem to find it again.

TIA.

123-reg.co.uk for a fee will watch and register a domain name for you as soon as it becomes available. If it is already registered then I believe that the current owner has up to 90days after it expires to re-register it before it would become available.

HTH :)

Thanks guys. Domain now watched :)

Hopefully the company whose name you're after has had a good reputaion? you don't want 6 million emails a day complaining about dodgy double glazing ;)

Steep said:
Hopefully the company whose name you're after has had a good reputaion? you don't want 6 million emails a day complaining about dodgy double glazing ;)

or worse!

Steep said:

DON'T get me started on double bl***y glazing !?! :hissyfit:

Whatever you do ...

... don't ... ever, EVER contemplate anyone who reckons they fit the best !?!

:eek:fftopic: Sorry ... !

One day I will tell the whole story ... when the legals are sorted and I am free to !!! :smilenod:

Did you tell them to "go climb a mountain"? :)

Never bought double glazing myself but I've seen soo many examples of shoddy work and the horror stories seem to come from all 'brands', so I think I'll just stick with my ex council single glazing and a warm jumper in winter :)

Steep said:
Did you tell them to "go climb a mountain"? :)

If only ... it was that simple Steep ! :finger1: :finger1:

Steep said:
Never bought double glazing myself but I've seen soo many examples of shoddy work and the horror stories seem to come from all 'brands', so I think I'll just stick with my ex council single glazing and a warm jumper in winter :)

Count yourself among the luckies m8 ! :smilenod:

ppuga said:
This side of the world, I use, www.godaddy.com, incredible service and prices. If you want another option.
Sorry to butt in... but does it matter who you register your domain with or is it best to stick with a local company (eg. based in the same country as your in)?

The reason I'm asking is that I wouldn't mind registering a domain name and the company quoted above seems to offer it at a very good price compaired to the other UK based companies quoted on this page.

Makes no odds, geographically speaking, where a domain is registered or hosted. I use hosting in the UK for my main site, due to the cheap costs (unlimited data transfer and unlimited webspace for £33 odd per year - my site is currently taking up about 1.5Gb of space lol). I use www.streamline.net and have found them pretty good.

I also have another (smaller) site that is hosted in the US a lot cheaper than I could get it for in the UK.

So, what I'm trying to say is that it really depends what you want to use the site for. If it's a mission critical website you ideally want a hosting company in the UK that can answer emails or telephone during UK business hours. If it's just for hosting a few photos and don't mind waiting a day or two for a reply to a tech support email then get it hosted in another country.

Another thing thats worth remembering - read the small print. If you register a domain with one company and want to get it hosted elsewhere then they may charge you a transfer fee to release the domain.

Also remember that if you pay for hosting, you might get a free .co.uk domain thrown in.

For cheap domain names, try http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

Thanks a lot mate, just what I needed to know... :thumb:

I've allready got a site for my photos but it allows you to use your own domain name if you have one, so I was just wanting to register my own name to make it a bit more personal.

I've also used uk2.net & 1and1.co.uk in past...both cheap & good.

Back