Gradient blur vignette

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know of a technique in CS3 for creating a gradient blur vignette, more blur on the edge of the image quickly sharpening as it comes inwards? I'm trying to simulate something like the way we see so that the peripheries are less defined and the actuall square edge of the photograph is not such a prominent feature!

Any other ideas about dealing with the squareness of image borders would be cool also (without just resorting to frames!)

thanks, ian.

You could duplicate the layer and then blur the duplicated layer, so that it's as blurred as you want it to be at the outside edges, then add a layer mask and work from there. You could use the round selection tool on the mask and fill it with black and then heavily blur the mask to taste.

Yes as mr pants suggests i would duplicate the layer, blur it to taste, apply a reveal all layer mask (all black), and use the circle gradient tool set to white to dragging out from the middle. You can adjust the strength of a layer mask to taste by using the levels.

(y) Cheers guys, will give it a try now, more than likely i'll be back in a while after i realise that i havnt the foggiest idea what you mean:)

Think i've got it though.

ian

Depending on the resolution of the image you could also try selecting all and feathering the selection, inverting the selection and then doing the blur. This would give a "cleaner" result as the blur would fall off smoothing rather than being a blend of fully blurred and sharp.

Depending on the resolution of the image you could also try selecting all and feathering the selection, inverting the selection and then doing the blur. This would give a "cleaner" result as the blur would fall off smoothing rather than being a blend of fully blurred and sharp.

Excellent, thanks very much, i had begun to notice a few control issues with the other method. I'm only using it on high resolution images.

Something else that this had led me onto is blending 2 images ie (for my gardening brouchure again!) fading between a photograph of say a patio or fence that i've built and a scanned image of the original drawn design on graph paper. Again, any hints or tips would be appreciated.

thanks, ian

Blending a drawing with a photo is easy using the layer fade method IF you've got a good way to match the perspective, if you haven't then it's really a case of fudging it in PS. If you line them on separate layers and then set the upper layer's opactity to 50% it's like working with tracing paper. Now use the transform tools (perspective, scale, freeform, etc) to get them matched as best you can. Finally put the opacity back to 100% and add blend using a gradient in a mask layer.

Blending a drawing with a photo is easy using the layer fade method IF you've got a good way to match the perspective, if you haven't then it's really a case of fudging it in PS. If you line them on separate layers and then set the upper layer's opactity to 50% it's like working with tracing paper. Now use the transform tools (perspective, scale, freeform, etc) to get them matched as best you can. Finally put the opacity back to 100% and add blend using a gradient in a mask layer.

(y) If i could afford it i'd pay you graphic design consultant fees, this is really helping me get my head around what i can with PS and your advice is very much appreciated. The hours i've spent getting frustrated with this stuff.........

thanks a million again (running out of descriptive words for thankyou!)

ian

Another way to add blur is to use the lens blur filter. You create an alpha channel and then just paint in the blur where you want it. In your case, you could just use the gradient tool on the edges of the alpha channel. Google will give you plenty of demos. here's one from a quick search.

Back