Grange Ash Farm

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
Yes
Farm machinery near Lathkill Dale, Derbyshire.

650565469_Gahc9-L.jpg

OK. Its a well composed, perfectly exposed photograph of a piece of farm machinery and a sprayer tank in a Derbyshire setting. There is some dock, some ragwort, a galvanised gate and a broken down drystone wall. The sky is super.

There is not much to say about it. It is a undeniably a good photograph, but it is only marginally a landscape, and a piece of modernish farm machinery has only limited interest and even less beauty!

It's fine, horrocks, you didn't offend me and you sounded as though you were speaking your mind, which I actually appreciate.

What constitutes 'beauty and interest' is entirely subjective though and I do find farm machinery aesthetically interesting personally, but I've a deep-rooted love of the countryside and all that's associated with it. I suspect it might appeal to some, but not to the wide audience prettier subjects would.

Last edited:
It's fine, horrocks, you didn't offend me and you sounded as though you were speaking your mind, which I actually appreciate.

What constitutes 'beauty and interest' is entirely subjective though and I do find farm machinery aesthetically interesting personally, but I've a deep-rooted love of the countryside and all that's associated with it. I suspect it might appeal to some, but not to the wide audience prettier subjects would.

I accept that completely. Being country, and indeed farm, born and bred, I rather like old farm machinery too, though not necessarily in the context of landscape photography. There's a kind of aesthetic wall that it can often, though of course not always, fail to climb. There might be a broad assumption that the older, the better.

Anyway, all that apart and aesthetics aside, you posted a technically excellent photograph and were disappointed because it failed to attract comments. Don't be. I sounded snappy and condescending whan I had no right to be, and I for one am very much looking forward to your next submission.

Oh, and this should cheer you up. I posted here a month or so ago!

DSC_6567HNDB.jpg

Pot, kettle....

I like it for what it is. If it was a wooden plough covered in moss you'd get screeches of praise...theys are the things that floats some boats

Anyway, all that apart and aesthetics aside, you posted a technically excellent photograph and were disappointed because it failed to attract comments. Don't be. I sounded snappy and condescending whan I had no right to be, and I for one am very much looking forward to your next submission.

Yes, I was disappointed and yes, you sounded condescending. However, as I mentioned earlier, despite your manner I appreciated that you spoke your mind, and thanks for the later encouragement.

Oh, and this should cheer you up. I posted here a month or so ago!

Pot, kettle....

Indeed! :D

I like it for what it is. If it was a wooden plough covered in moss you'd get screeches of praise...theys are the things that floats some boats

Thanks, walls.

Last edited:
Back