Graphics Tablets - How do you get into using them?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought an XP-Pen Artist 15.6 pro graphics tablet monitor in the Prime sale - it's a great looking bit of kit! I want to love it!

Only I am REALLY struggling to get into using it, and struggling to see the utility over a mouse - which arguably makes no sense, as surely the tablet would make any editing more accurate?

I always see graphics tablet photography users say that, once you get into using them they're revolutionary, and they couldn't do without. So how did you get past this alien feeling, and how do you use yours???

Ironically, I've got a 4 year old Surface Pro with a pen input, but always found the screen a bit too small, doesn't have enough system resources, and couldn't get into using that for photography either. Was hoping the bigger screen on this tablet, and ability to connect to my desktop, would help. It didn't. Though it does highlight the lack of touch input on the tablet.

(Don't get me wrong, I can see they'd be great for graphics artists! Though actually not convinced about this model either at the moment.... not hugely sensitive at low pressure)

You buy it, have a play then sell it on the classifieds.
Rinse and repeat for the next owner or three until it's finally sent to the charity shop.

Photographys version of the Clairol Foot Spa.

@redsnappa I get that it is both a mouse and not a mouse, Saying that, It's actually pretty rubbish as a mouse! :) Using it, I'm now asking myself, when do I want more than a mouse, and is a tablet with a screen actually the less useful (and too expensive) an option compared to a normal tablet? I think I know what I'd want a graphics tablet to do, but they never seem to work in the way I'd want and the reality is, maybe I don't actually do the detailed edits that would benefit most from one? As I say, if I was more into digital art / manipulation / detailed or professional touching up, I'd see it as a required tool for the job, but landscapes? Hmm.

@flook999 oddly enough, It does kind of answer the question in a way I can appreciate - I'm kind of thinking a normal style tablet would be more useable as I would continue to use my larger high spec photography monitor and not have my hand covering what I'm doing. and it is exactly those tasks I'd likely use it for, but actually, I don't do that too often. It's definitely more a Photoshop tool than an ACR / Lightroom tool.

@tijuana taxi yeh, this is my second (or third if you count the surface pro) and Clarol Footspa couldn't be a more appropriate metaphor! :LOL:

The joys of Prime Day impulsive purchases, but hey, at least the returns policy is good.

I've never heard of people having issues, except when they use the cheaper i.e. non wacom tablets.
Then I often hear of people having problems adapting, and I've heard many say it down to the balance of the pen.

Wouldn't be without mine for editing in PS, I would say I use it 99% of the time, I find it much more accurate compared to a mouse and I am on my third Wacom now.

IIRC Back in the 90s when I got my ArtPad II, Wacom used to say in their documentation that you need to spend several days using the pen+tablet before you'll really feel any benefit.
At that point I had about 8-9yrs of muscle memory using a mouse so it didn't come easily. I didn't stick with it but left it plugged in.

I've had non-screen tablets ever since but barely use them. When you want to draw in a detailed mask or apply a variably transparent effect then a pressure sensitive pen is massively better than a mouse. But for most point+click operations you will probably find you're quicker and more accurate with a mouse. Lots of the autoselection tools these days have been built to take the pain out of careful selection - I assume in part because it's such pia to do with a mouse.

If you don't have Photoshop - try using the paint tools in GIMP to do some doodling. You'll draw things you simply can't do with a mouse, but if that's not what you're into then you'll always be struggling. I've been watching the fine artist Grayson Perry on the TV using a giant Wacom screen and it's clear he's incredibly comfortable and skilled with it, but I imagine that took a lot of practice.

@AMcUK the touch screen on my surface book is amazing, and works really well with the pen - it flows, it feels fairly natural, and the pen sensitivity is spot on. It's just the screen is too high resolution for the size of the monitor, so menus are tiny (to the point of being unreadable in some cases). I know that can be fixed, but never really persisted because.... well.... I don't do that sort of thing often and the screen size is really a bit small for editing - I do all of that on my desktop with the big monitors. I did create my signature block with it though. I do wonder if I could connect it to my desktop in some way...

Yeh, might give it a concerted effort over the weekend, but I think this is going back before it starts taking up desk space and gathering dust.

I shoot models 100% of the time so its mainly skin retouching, painting colour on skin, selections, erasing etc, been using them that long it feels more natural than using a mouse.
Thanks Toxic, yep I think I'd be the same if I was doing that kind of work - definitely where a tablet comes into its own. I'm mostly landscapes where a little dodge and burn is probably the limit, and absolute accuracy could perhaps be forgiven! :D

Back