Graphics Tablets

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to buy myself a Wacom Graphire4 Classic XL graphics tablet for Xmas to help with photo editing and also to have a play with MS OneNote.

• Is A5 big enough to be useful?
  • Anybody got any experience with this model?
  • What are they like to use with a 'wide' format screens (16:10)? I see they now have a specific wide version in the Intuos range but its twice the price.
  • Any other recommended models?
Thanks
Mark

Well you wont go far wrong with Wacom. I don't know this particular model, mine is a Wacom and it's a few years old and cost me a bomb compared to prices now.

I seldom use it these days, as there's little I can't do with a mouse anyway, and a mouse is a far more stable platform for clicking around complicated mask shapes. I know some people will give me an argument on this, pointing out that the tablet is pressure sensitive, and it's true, making it very handy for smeary pixel pushing type jobs. It's nothing that can't be done with a mouse though by varying the opacity of the processing tool you're using, and I find it better to build up gradually to the density you require, but that's a personal thing and I've been a heavy user for years. Artists and more graphical desgner types would find it a boon I would think for freehand drawing jobs.

Mine's an A5 and it's plenty big enough. I 've no idea what the widescreen versions are like, but I wouldn't think there'd be a problem as you map the tablet to the screen in the software setup.:)

Mark, I have the Graphire3 version & find A5 is fine for me. I think general advice is larger models are more sutable for pro's who use them all day long.

Ref wide screen I assume the tablet represents the size of the screen whatever ratio....soon one assumes it is not a true 1:1 ratio with vertical strokes vs horizontal. I don't think it's a big issue as often I have Plasma being driven as 2nd screen to LCD & have no problems guiding cursor across the screens.

You'll find the pen takes a littel of getting used to & I've yet to get to grips with the pressure nature of the brush strokes.....I still hold pen slightly off mat & use the buttons :nut:

For day to day to use I use the mouse provided with the tablet & only use the pen when I start to play with photo's in PS.

Main reason I chose a Tablet was :-
- More acurate with pen for image processing in PS
- Less chance of RSI with pen than mouse (which I've started to suffer with after years of working on PC's)

I read lots of reviews before choosing model & the Wacom was definetely the best for the money (about £65 at time from PCWorld)....so you can't go wrong :thumb:

Thanks guys, I think i'll give it a whirl and order one now. Have to wait until xmas until I open it of course :LOL:

Back