Graphics upgrade?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Advice required here from PC savvy members. I currently use a 21.5" screen running 1080p at 60Mhz. I use the on board graphics which are rated at a max of 4096x2160 @ 24Mhz.
I'm looking to upgrade to a 27" screen rated at 1440p. Here's the question. Will the onboard graphics run 1440p at 60 Mhz?
I'm not into gaming, just image work and the usual home office stuff. I'm not keen on shelling out for a dedicated graphics card if I don't need one. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Which motherboard make &model and if you know which specific onboard graphics?

Its a Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P. CPU is an i3. Graphics in manual are just given as "integrated". I run an a Zorin linux OS which runs just fine

Page 6 in the manual..,.

Integrated Graphics Processor-Intel® HD Graphics support:
- 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
- 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
* The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
- 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24 Hz
* Support for HDMI 1.4 version.
Support for up to 3 displays at the same time
Maximum shared memory of 512 MB

So the answer to your question is "no"..... as max 1200 @60Hz

Ah yes, I realise that 1200 is max on DVI but I use HDMI which indicates a higher resolution. I wasn't sure whether the 1200 max at 60Mhz applied just the same on tbe HDMI port.

If you are prepared to get a graphics card then you could always just buy the new monitor first, see how (and what) it runs and then decide?

If you are to get one something lightweight like the GTX1050ti is inexpensive and provides good power. It is powered straight from the motherboard, so a plug-and-play affair, rather than worrying about extra 8-pin PSU-GPU connectors.

Ah yes, I realise that 1200 is max on DVI but I use HDMI which indicates a higher resolution. I wasn't sure whether the 1200 max at 60Mhz applied just the same on tbe HDMI port.
I missed that!

I have found Gigabyte support to be very good in the past.

I suggest you make a support request to get the answer from the 'horses mouth' as I have never used the HDMI port so don't with assurance know the answer.

I missed that!

I have found Gigabyte support to be very good in the past.

I suggest you make a support request to get the answer from the 'horses mouth' as I have never used the HDMI port so don't with assurance know the answer.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

If you are prepared to get a graphics card then you could always just buy the new monitor first, see how (and what) it runs and then decide?

If you are to get one something lightweight like the GTX1050ti is inexpensive and provides good power. It is powered straight from the motherboard, so a plug-and-play affair, rather than worrying about extra 8-pin PSU-GPU connectors.

Good call.

I use a GTX1050Ti 4 GB card and it supports my BenQ SW270C @ 1440 via the DP (Display Port) terminal.

Much appreciate the advice. Unfortunately £170 isn't a lightweight price on my kind of budget, hence the question.

- 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
* The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
- 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24 Hz
* Support for HDMI 1.4 version.

The on-board graphics will be fine for your 1440p screen. The limitation to 1200 is down to the DVI/VGA connectors that cannot manage a high enough data transfer rate for the extra resolution. HDMI (1.4) can manage the higher rate, hence the better spec.

Last edited:
Much appreciate the advice. Unfortunately £170 isn't a lightweight price on my kind of budget, hence the question.

Fair enough, I guess when even mid range gaming cards are £500+ and high tier are over £1,000 then £170 doesn't seem so bad! lol The GT1030 could also be a cheaper alternative if necessary link

What is the display adapter frequency for 1440p, will it still be 60Hz or will it drop to 24Hz like for full 4K? I remember when setting up a previous monitor and it was at 30Hz and was horrible. I now run 144Hz from the adapter and even if I drop it to 50Hz to test it isn't very nice from the mouse cursor movement to moving windows, objects etc.

1666557677370.png

Last edited:
The motherboard has nothing to do with graphics output, it is the integrated chip on the CPU that sends the signal to the monitor.

You have an Intel i3 in your computer so the onboard graphics will be the intel 630 chip.
This will deliver 4k support for your monitor.

For better/speedier results a cheap GPU will be much more better than the 630 chip. Even a AMD RX 570 which you can get for less than £100 and it will not use any of the inbuilt memory of your PC like the intel 630 does.

The motherboard has nothing to do with graphics output, it is the integrated chip on the CPU that sends the signal to the monitor.

You have an Intel i3 in your computer so the onboard graphics will be the intel 630 chip.
This will deliver 4k support for your monitor.

For better/speedier results a cheap GPU will be much more better than the 630 chip. Even a AMD RX 570 which you can get for less than £100 and it will not use any of the inbuilt memory of your PC like the intel 630 does.
This does not account(?) for whether @Alcor has or will in future use editing software that needs at least (at current software demand levels) an nVidia GTX1050Ti

I have one of these.

which I use to run a second 4k monitor off a tiny Dell laptop (the Dell onboard is OK for one). It's a really affordable option if your machine can't handle the new monitor.

That's quite a nifty wee device! Shame it's only 30Mz @ 4k but that aside, there's a person in the reviews who commented that it doesn't do 1440p and will reduce it to 1080p instead?

Many thanks to all for help and advice. Much appreciated. Apologies for tardy response, had a few crap days. I'll await a reply from Gigabyte and go from there. It could be that I'll get the 27" 1440p monitor anyway and if I need to run it at 1080p then so be it. I'll then look to saving up some pennies for a graphics card. Thanks again

If it is of any help my 4k monitor by Dell ( U2720Q) works well with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card

Last edited:
Hi all, thought I'd give an update with respect to exchange of messages with Gigabyte who have been really helpful. The summary of it all is that the Intel i3 6100T has Intel HD530 graphics. This is listed as giving 4096x2304 resolution at 24Hz but with no indication of its 2K output. It will however give 4096 x2304 at 60Hz via a display port. Alas the Gigabyte Mobo I have does not have a display port. Interesting and useful to know just the same. Further digging by my Gigabyte friend did find through Intel a reference to a very similar inquiry that did confirm that the intel HD 530 graphics will do 2K at 60 Hz well enough. So, there we have it from the horses mouth so to speak. Apologies to Milo and others who said it would be fine who can rightly say "told you so" but having been pointed at the Gigabyte help desk I though it would be useful to get the technical feedback on it, which has proved to be good. I think I might wait a few weeks and see if any good deals on 27" monitors come up for the (infamous?) "Black Friday". Thanks again to all.

Back