Grass snake

Forbiddenbiker

The Enforcer
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I think it's a grass snake anyhow?

I haven't see one in the wild since my childhood, so it was very exciting (Ok, I jumped) to actually wander upon a basking pair in Epping Forest today.
One slipped away, but this one was up for a quick photo shoot before it fled.

I tucked my trousers into my socks after these shots. :LOL:

grasssnakesidesmall.jpg

grasssnakefrontsmall.jpg

The crop.

grasssnakefrontsmallcrop.jpg

:)

Wow ... some excellent pics of a very elusive snake there Forbiddenbiker !

And yes ... it is definitely a Grass Snake ! And in Epping you say ?

TFS ... muchly !

Very unusual, 2nd looks great with the pattern of the snake contrasting against the pattern of the leaves - dont think I have ever witnessed one of these in the wild. Looks pretty large aswell.

(Just a note - theres an article about these in this months Digital Camera, and it also mention how they are protected and that there are very strict guidelines regarding these species and other British species of reptile, apparently you need a licence just to photo these creatures. Not meaning to be clever, just watch you dont get into trouble over it;) )

Nice shots and thanks for sharing.

Warspite said:
(Just a note - theres an article about these in this months Digital Camera, and it also mention how they are protected and that there are very strict guidelines regarding these species and other British species of reptile, apparently you need a licence just to photo these creatures. Not meaning to be clever, just watch you dont get into trouble over it;) )

Need a licence to photo something you just happen across on a walk ... what is this world coming to !!! :razz:

Apparently they are increasingly rare, and although I agree Ven - you know for everyone of us who really dont wish to disturb anything and just want to capture the moment, theres 10s of muppets who will trample around obliviously destroying everything in their path so long as they enjoy themselves. Not sure if they specifically apply to this species as I know absolutely nothing about British wildlife - just thought I'd mention it.

Yes, I do know what you mean and this sadly is a fact of life ! Fortunately most wildlife hears these muppets coming and makes a discrete getaway ! In circumstances like this one though who, among us could resist the opportunity to shoot ... fines or imprisonment or no !

Fantastic. Great capture.

If you straighten the 2nd shot on the twig before cropping you may get just a touch more of the snake on the RHS.

Great shots there (y) . Grass snakes are beautiful and I came accross a local place last year where there were lots of these - mainly young ones but saw a couple of adults too. I tried a few shots but they were far too fast for me.
Rich

absolutely first rate, great capture of a very elusive reptile, well done.

Wonderful shots....what a beautiful creature.

Warspite said:
No worries, always good to know these things, I can imagine them being protected...but I’m surprised about needing a licence, wow! …next infringement please.

She was big I thought too, about 50-60cm long from what I could see when she dashed off; I'm assuming that’s adult size. That second frame is equivalent to the size of a national Geographic magazine...just to give some scale to her... or him. :shrug:

Ven.
Do you know the 'Tea hut' cafe, on route to High beach? I can Pm more details if you need?

Mark.
Nice one, good idea. I'll try that.

Glad you like them peeps, or rather I'm glad she allowed me to photograph her so I could share them.
Made my day, week, month I think, such a stunning creature, I had forgotten they even existed. :eek: tis true though.

Thanks all.

Forbiddenbiker said:
Ven.
Do you know the 'Tea hut' cafe, on route to High beach? I can Pm more details if you need?

Yes I do know the cafe FB ... into the woods near there then and take your chances ? Assume it was earlyish a.m. and it was basking in the sun to warm up ?

They move about a bit but do have favourite basking places in their patch.

They are really exceptional shots m8 !

Great set of shots. Last year when in Australia, I met a man who was bit by a King Brown snake, the most deadly creature in all of OZ. He died within 15 minutes but was brought back to life with anti venom. Very interesting man and he told me that he has not been ill since that snake bite some 7 years ago! Spent several days with him and great person who become good friend.

Great set of shots. Don't think I'd have hung around to take pictures of it though - it looks big :eek:

Forbiddenbiker said:
I've PM'd Ven and I’m happy to give directions to anyone else, just didn't want to post up details on the internet...I assume this page is cached by google and that. :cautious:

Very wise I'd say ... ! ;)

Forbiddenbiker said:
Its Warspites fault, I recon. ;)

Damn right;)

In no way am I saying you shouldnt have taken the shot, its a great capture - just reminded me of the article. I am sure that no one here has taken it to mean you shouldnt have taken the shot (just feel better being clear on that) :)

(y)

Great shots! (y)

20 years of walking Scottish hills and I have never seen an adder or grass snake. Boo hoo.

I can remember school trips to high beach and being told to look out for grass snakes but never saw anything. Main memory now is having a packed lunch in the middle of the forest :)

I know the tea hut... well I think I do - at the top of the hill where the cars park? Google map view

Looks more like a Sri Lankan green mamba to me, highly toxic and highly dangerous! been known to follow you home just to get a bite in, relentless they are...

RobertP said:
I know the tea hut... well I think I do - at the top of the hill where the cars park? Google map view

Nearly..but no. I gonna pm you Robert. :) Oooh er.

Warspite, No worries my friend. I felt no pressure to be defensive of my actions after reading your comments. But you did make me feel more protective of my snake (Its my snake now btw.;) ) I'm a bit of an environmental protective type person, so your views on the laws where most welcome.
Just having a giggle by adding that 'fault' bit.. Excuse me. :)

I'm surprised so many of you would run a mile...especially you Dave, I thought you where a rufty tufty biker type. ;) :D

Thanks for you nice comments everyone. :) (y)

Warspite said:
I believe the licence requirement only applies to the smooth snake and sand lizard and would not be needed for a 'chance meeting' like this one. English heritage can issue licences for various activities, including nature photography, that would otherwise be illegal due to the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act. The main thrust of the act is about protecting endangered animals and their habitat.

Back