Great Crested Grebes ?

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Anyone else have the same problem ?
I have several local habitats where they are normally about all year round but at the moment there seem to be none in the local area.
Really miffed cos I was hopping to get some courtship dispay pictures
I do know that at at least one lake they failed to rear any young last year.
If anyone knows of any in the guildford/horsham area would be gratful if you could let me know

Last edited:
Could be that its a bit early for them to be back at their spring / summer sites. Mine come back next month. Try finding your local bird club wesite, or check Birdforum local forums for your area.

Cheers Brian, you could be right, but in that past they have been around all year, will just have to keep visiting to see if they reappear
One place is worth it as the foxes appear regualarly, think they are last year's cubs ;)

I had great views of courtship displays through my scope yesterday on strangford lough. No pics though as it was too far away.

Gerard.

Are there none at Warnham Ingrid? I'll be there tomorrow, I was hoping the Grebes would be back by now :(

They've been around our local ponds all winter this year again, although not in as large numbers as during the summer months

Your a bit to far from me but we have about 10 pairs at the moment displaying. Saturday whent he sun was out we had great views. Monday not so great but only saw one pair.

I woul dgo back as often as you can as you may find they are hiding. Some days I don't see any on the lake and they lots.

If you are up this way give me a shout and Ill take you to the local patch. Large public lake with a private reserve for permit holders.

Are there none at Warnham Ingrid? I'll be there tomorrow, I was hoping the Grebes would be back by now :(

There was only one when I was there on Sunday, thinking of going tomorrow too :eek:

found some at Earlswood common today, one lot seemed to be already paired

Last edited:
There was only one when I was there on Sunday, thinking of going tomorrow too :eek:

found some at Earlswood common today, one lot seemed to be already paired

e3.jpg

Definitely a pair at Warnham now, though they weren't doing anything interesting yesterday. There were also some rather lovely mandarins that flew in late afternoon (y)

They've been around our local ponds all winter this year again, although not in as large numbers as during the summer months

Another Northants geezer! Yep, there were two up at Sywell Country Park this morning but too far out for pics. Mind you they were both more into fishing than any naughtiness.

Another Northants geezer! Yep, there were two up at Sywell Country Park this morning but too far out for pics. Mind you they were both more into fishing than any naughtiness.

I can confirm at least 2 there again on Saturday, but like you said, food was certainly their main priority :LOL:

You just have to be patient, they tend to display when they meet up during the fishing, got a cracking show the other day (y)

I got a few piccies of a pair at Barnes WWT displaying on tuesday. Will finish fiddling with them and then post up my meager efforts.

been told that they have started a little earlier than usual by a local birder but should be all go within the next few weeks

Yep they really are kicking off now, found a few and watched them display, just need them come in range of the camera now :thinking:

I live in Yateley and have approx 17 lakes at the Cemex fishing complex and have manage to get a shot or two of some grebes there ,it`s not that far from you, Cemex do a walk round permit for £25.00 for a year allowing access to all the lakes they own for the purpose of bird spotting or photography, the head bailiff was even happy for me to set up my pop up hide if i wanted , i said if i`d set it up in a fishing swim i would move if a fisherman wanted to fish in that spot.(y)

Anybody know of a good site in Sussex? I was hoping Warnham LNR near Horsham would be a good site, after such good shots of a pair with chicks last year. But they seem to have disappeared.

Whereabouts are you roughly
There have been a couple over there, but I was told the other day that they are draining the millpond yet again during the breeding season :bang::bang:
How far you prepared to go, Ellswood Common near reigate has a nesting pair close to the bank and another pair on the top pond.
There is normally a pair at petworth park, pond near the house, not been there yet to ckeck it out.

Whereabouts are you roughly
There have been a couple over there, but I was told the other day that they are draining the millpond yet again during the breeding season :bang::bang:
How far you prepared to go, Ellswood Common near reigate has a nesting pair close to the bank and another pair on the top pond.
There is normally a pair at petworth park, pond near the house, not been there yet to ckeck it out.

Thanks. I'm down near Steyning, so Petworth isn't too far.

Back