Critique Great Staple Tor - Dartmoor

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a few from Great Staple Tor. The first two are from last Monday and the last one was taken a couple of weeks back.

Any critique welcome :)

12083706295_a18b8a7246_b.jpg

12084018123_f2689f53a3_b.jpg

#3 - This is the one from a couple of weeks back
12084422456_ca1e824d3b_b.jpg

Hope you like :)

Three lovely captures, last one works best for me.
Second one is the least pleasing, the composition is a bit all over the place and my eyes seem to scan the image for quite some time looking for something to catch the eye.
I love Dartmoor, must get back down there soon.

Thanks for your comments :)

Three lovely captures, last one works best for me.
Second one is the least pleasing, the composition is a bit all over the place and my eyes seem to scan the image for quite some time looking for something to catch the eye.
I love Dartmoor, must get back down there soon.

Yeah I'm not to happy with the second one. When I got home I was just looking at it thinking what was I doing?! I wished I had moved forward to get the rocks out of the way and try to concentrate on capturing the distant hills and awesome sky. Oh well down to experience!

Yes, nice shots but I beleive your composition could have been a bit polished.
A few personal critic but I'm a learner too!
1~ don't work so much for me and the foreground isn't very sharp, you could have isolated a bit more a nice bloc in the foreground and focus on it.
2~ maybe a minute before or later, I don't really like how the sun only touch the stonework on the right and on the left. Maybe it would have been filled with a better light a few moment later
3~ is lacking sharpness too and I that's hillock it's a bit too much in our face blocking everything.

I think I need to make sure I sharpen images for the web because the first image in particular is really sharp at 100% zoom. I presume by hillock you mean the Great Staple Tor stack of rocks on the right hand side of the last image? For me this was a key focal point in the image and it's reasonably big so it's hard to exclude

Yes you do need to resharpen after resizing. The downsizing jpge does soften the picture a lot!
I usually use LR for my to post process all my picture to export to some nice JPG.

Then I use a little freebie for web resizing and sharpening! I use photofiltre but all freebie would do it! I'm sure i could do it with LR too but I've never try to be honnest!

Edit: I've just also noticed that when you click on your picture it stretche them out making them a bit sharper than the slighlty squitche version on the screen.

Last edited:
Mucho gracias for the comments everyone!

Yes you do need to resharpen after resizing. The downsizing jpge does soften the picture a lot!
I usually use LR for my to post process all my picture to export to some nice JPG.

Then I use a little freebie for web resizing and sharpening! I use photofiltre but all freebie would do it! I'm sure i could do it with LR too but I've never try to be honnest!

Edit: I've just also noticed that when you click on your picture it stretche them out making them a bit sharper than the slighlty squitche version on the screen.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the freebie programs but I think I will look for guide also on sharpening for the web in Lightroom :)

A really good set, i have to say the last one is spot on i love the composition, and it looks as if you have kept control off the highlights from the sun.

Thanks, I had to blend 3 different images to keep the sun under control. Or at least attempt to keep it under control :p

Lovely shots the compo on 1 is great with the tor leading your eye into the shot. You've given me some food for thought.I only live fifteen min drive from the moor but always find myself heading for the coast. Spent most of my child hood up there with the scouts, Got some amazing memories of stunning places but I can't dam remember where they where

Lovely shots the compo on 1 is great with the tor leading your eye into the shot. You've given me some food for thought.I only live fifteen min drive from the moor but always find myself heading for the coast. Spent most of my child hood up there with the scouts, Got some amazing memories of stunning places but I can't dam remember where they where

Thanks! If you live that close to Dartmoor I definitely recommend you get out there! I have now only visited Staple Tor twice but it is fantastic! My favourite area is probably around the Burrator reservoir and the Tors that over look it. I need to explore much more of Dartmoor myself, it can be a fantastic place when not raining!

Back