Great Tit - Avian Pox - Sad update

Name
Christine
Edit My Images
Yes
The birds have only just started coming back to the feeders and there are already two with what looks like avian pox, one has a growth on one of its legs, this one is in a very sad state and you can just see its eye. Everytime it goes for the peanut feeder it is making its growth redder and redder so hopefully it will start using the feed tray which should not do so much damage
to it.

bird166.jpg

bird167.jpg

bird168.jpg

1/250 sec at ISO 800

Last edited:
Poor thing.

I'm normally pretty realistic when it come to wildlife but that looks truly dreadful:(

The bad news for you is that you should really think about taking down your feeders for a while to try to stop the spread.

Last edited:
Sad update:
Last night I caught this bird as it was getting dark and cleaned it up a bit as it was oozing pus from its lump. I put it in the conservatory overnight and this morning it looked quite bright and was sitting on the back of a chair eating a peanut. Checked a few minutes ago and found it dead on the floor - probably the best thing for it, I was tempted to kill it last night but it was still quite lively so gave it a chance.

I would disinfect your feeeding areas as a precaution. In the absence of being able to treat a bird with this, sadly killing it would probably the best protection for the other birds.

:agree: with Ken that a thorough cleaning of all your feeding stations will be necessary Christine... :shrug:

This should be done pretty regularly throughout the year in any event to minimise the spread of avian diseases which can be quite nasty and also extremely tough to get rid of once they get hold... :eek:

I think the outcome was inevitable but at least you tried... (y)

:p

I have cleaned the nut holder and thrown the tray it was using away. There is still one Great Tit with a growth and that is on its leg. They have only just started coming back to the feeding area so they must be picking it up from somewhere else as well - plants, trees etc ?

I have never been able to find out just how it is transmitted - cells, touch, body fluids etc?

If it is indeed avian pox or something similar it will be transmitted by mosquitos or contact with contaminated birds or surfaces where a bird has cleaned/rubbed itself and left fluids/cells from the diseased area... :shrug: ...it can also be spread by airborne particles for instance when a bird shakes itself and stuff flies off into the surrounding area and maybe carried on the wind even further... :eek:

When you consider a bird will clean its beak/face area on a twig or other handy surface it only takes another one to come along and do the same thing on the infected surface... :cautious: ... hence why so many turn up with affected eyes and so on... ;)

You can see why cleanliness is absolutely vital and a couple of drops of bleach in your cleaning fluid will help... :D

:p

Truly disturbing to see. Nature red in tooth and claw eh. I fancy the little chap has gone to a better place.

Hi Kerioak

Please think about taking your feeders down for a few weeks. If this disease is infectious, as alot seem to be, you need to discourage the birds to congregate in the area as they will use the same approach perches etc. I know this may seem hard but really you'll be doing the birds a favour. There is alot of natural food around at the moment and the temp. is up too. Give it 3-4 weeks and put the feeders back, the weather will be colder then the birds will apprieciate it more and be safer from disease.

HTH

Thats awful. We had loads die of Trichomoniasis a few years back, it was horrible.

I would disinfect your feeeding areas as a precaution. In the absence of being able to treat a bird with this, sadly killing it would probably the best protection for the other birds.

Yes, RSPB advised me to do that. Many small birds are being found dead in gardens here this year and RSPB said that feeders ere a major source of infection spread. I took mine down for a few months. They are back up, but zero birds using them.

I have an agricultural strength disinfectant that Defra insisted on when I was collecting tripe from the abbatoir, which is supposed to kill nearly everything so cleaned using that.

I seem to get at least two birds with it a year - last year's that had the "helmet"raised a clutch so they could be infected from the nest?

My "approach" perches are constantly changing so I am not too worried about those. I do wonder if this bird's lump was the result of an injury though from the amount of pus that came out after I caught it (and yes, that was burnt).

I have an agricultural strength disinfectant that Defra insisted on when I was collecting tripe from the abbatoir, which is supposed to kill nearly everything so cleaned using that.

I seem to get at least two birds with it a year - last year's that had the "helmet"raised a clutch so they could be infected from the nest?

My "approach" perches are constantly changing so I am not too worried about those. I do wonder if this bird's lump was the result of an injury though from the amount of pus that came out after I caught it (and yes, that was burnt).

Why not email the images to the RSPB and BTO. They will be able to identify it and give you professional advise:thinking:

A sad outcome but at least by disposing of the bird and cleaning the feeding station down you are doing your bit (y)

I have now taken to buying bird food in plastic net bags and throw them away when empty.
Never known my garden so devoid of birds.

I have done this in the past and every time they come back with Avian pox. I could dig up the body and send it to them but the thought does not appeal :(

Please think about taking down your feeders it seems that avian pox may have a strong hold and discouraging the birds from the area for a few weeks while the weather is good will help. :(

I have now taken to buying bird food in plastic net bags and throw them away when empty.
Never known my garden so devoid of birds.

You've done the right thing though in stopping feeding(y) As the weather worsens the birds will soon return:)

Keep an eye on the net bags as birds do get caught up in them, I stopped using them because of this a long time ago.

:agree: especially with woodpeckers as these birds have barbed tongues.

Back