Yes
I saw this while out today, I've never seen one before so I'm quite chuffed :D

C & C welcome & appreciated

Alison :)

Three nice shots first one does it for me though
Regards
Lost

yep agreed as above (y)

I can a "little noise" just creeping in though is it a heavy crop?
it might be worth just running a "blur tool" over the background.

Three nice shots first one does it for me though
Regards
Lost

Thank you, glad you like it :)

yep agreed as above (y)

I can a "little noise" just creeping in though is it a heavy crop?
it might be worth just running a "blur tool" over the background.

Thanks cobra, this is the original so you can see it is a fairly big crop:

well done on capturing them the first does look more noisy to me but I think you may just have oversharpened it slightly halo round the beak think you could get away with a little less the middle one is my fav

Thanks kaz, I've had another go at no 1 - I've just cropped it and lightened it slightly (no sharpening) is it any better?

Well SPOTTED Alison :D Lovely set, #1 and 2 would be my pic with #3 just suffering a bit on sharpness, probably to do with being excited I would imagine ;) Great colour and detail on them well done (y)

I think that is a lot better now its a good shot I am guilty myself sometimes at overdoing it so hope you didn t mind me saying more importantly do you think it looks better

Thanks kaz, yes I think it looks a lot better now as well, of course I don't mind you saying - that's the only way I'm going to improve :)

Well SPOTTED Alison :D Lovely set, #1 and 2 would be my pic with #3 just suffering a bit on sharpness, probably to do with being excited I would imagine ;) Great colour and detail on them well done (y)

Thanks Rich, you're definately right about me being excited, it's great when you see a bird you've never seen before isn't it? I think I'm going to start trying a tripod :)

Thanks kaz, yes I think it looks a lot better now as well, of course I don't mind you saying - that's the only way I'm going to improve :)

Thanks Rich, you're definately right about me being excited, it's great when you see a bird you've never seen before isn't it? I think I'm going to start trying a tripod :)

Thats a good decision Alison (y) Although I use one myself a lot I definately need a decent one, the one I have is reminiscent of a Daffodil blowing in the wind :(

Three lovely shots Alison, No.1 being my favourite. My only crit is the background is a little bright compared to the rest of the shot and being a little busy tends to distract from the subject. Well done for getting that close, really nervy customers these.

Thats a good decision Alison (y) Although I use one myself a lot I definately need a decent one, the one I have is reminiscent of a Daffodil blowing in the wind :(

I know what you mean Rich, I'm thinking about getting one of these here redsnapper ones, they look good :)

Three lovely shots Alison, No.1 being my favourite. My only crit is the background is a little bright compared to the rest of the shot and being a little busy tends to distract from the subject. Well done for getting that close, really nervy customers these.

Thanks Donna, how can I get my background to come out darker, is it when I take the shot or is there something I can do in Photoshop?

Thanks Donna, how can I get my background to come out darker, is it when I take the shot or is there something I can do in Photoshop?

In Photoshop. You will need to create a new layer of just the background so use the magnetic lassoo tool to cut out the background, create a new layer via copy (of the selection) then select the new layer and alter its brightness etc. until you are happy.

Very good pics - well caught.

In Photoshop. You will need to create a new layer of just the background so use the magnetic lassoo tool to cut out the background, create a new layer via copy (of the selection) then select the new layer and alter its brightness etc. until you are happy.

Thanks Donna, I'll have a go at that later (y)

Very good pics - well caught.

Thank you :)

The top one is not the same bird as the other 2 pics. Looks like you had two around! :clap:

I'm inclined to think the top on is a Gt. Spotted and the bottom 2 are lesser spotted but I may be wrong. However the top is a different bird from the others as it has no red on the very top of its head. It could be a male/female or adult/juvenile thing.

Last edited:
The top one is not the same bird as the other 2 pics. Looks like you had two around! :clap:

I'm inclined to think the top on is a Gt. Spotted and the bottom 2 are lesser spotted but I may be wrong. However the top is a different bird from the others as it has no red on the very top of its head. It could be a male/female or adult/juvenile thing.

Thanks Janice, I noticed that when I put them on the thread last night and wondered if anyone else would notice. No 1 was taken earlier in the day than No's 2 & 3 - they were all in the same area though.

I'm not sure if 2 & 3 are lesser spotted or just juveniles, I had a quick look in the RSPB book and I think the juveniles have the red on their heads spread out like that, I'm not sure though :help:

Back