Grisly return - not for the squeamish.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
What happens when a sheep doesn't make it.

Grisly return by Anton Ertl, on Flickr

I struggled to get a meaningful separation between the grass and carcass with this, despite their obvious difference in structure and colours. We were walking with friends, and I only had time for a quick shot in passing.

C&C welcome.

I think you've done well. The dark ribs in the light grass, and the light spine in the dark grass. It doesn't jump out at you but it's enough to catch the eye, and then there is plenty of detail there to keep it interesting.

The long grass might be the problem? I'v"e been known to move remains like this to get a "better :naughty:" pic. Sometimes it help, but not always. I was lining up a sheeps vertebrae on a wall once down Rhosilli and my friend had a tilt because I was moving them. I pointed out the sheep didnt seem to mind. It didnt help.
I'll get my coat.... :exit:

I've often come across stuff like this when out and about, and wanted to take a photo but thought there's no way it can make an image anyone would want to look at.... But it seems I was wrong. The black and white really makes it. Not exactly aesthetically pleasing as such, but less gruesome perhaps, while still maintaining the interest value.

I think you've done well. The dark ribs in the light grass, and the light spine in the dark grass. It doesn't jump out at you but it's enough to catch the eye, and then there is plenty of detail there to keep it interesting.

Thanks Jamie, I had to work the image a bit for the contrast you describe, and I'm glad it was successful.

The long grass might be the problem? I'v"e been known to move remains like this to get a "better :naughty:" pic. Sometimes it help, but not always. I was lining up a sheeps vertebrae on a wall once down Rhosilli and my friend had a tilt because I was moving them. I pointed out the sheep didnt seem to mind. It didnt help.
I'll get my coat.... :exit:

These things can be a little 'offputting' even when you've a strong stomach, and this was still quite meaty and even woolly in places. It was tempting to move it, but not sure the friends we were with would have been quite *that* understanding. :LOL:

I've often come across stuff like this when out and about, and wanted to take a photo but thought there's no way it can make an image anyone would want to look at.... But it seems I was wrong. The black and white really makes it. Not exactly aesthetically pleasing as such, but less gruesome perhaps, while still maintaining the interest value.

There's something fascinating about death in nature, and I've taken a few images that remain on the drive because they might be a bit much for some. It's a different kind of picture, but I'd definitely encourage you to take pictures, especially with your skill set and eye for an image. IIRC Edward Weston was happy to photograph dead things, and made a good job of it.

Back