Grrr Decisions, decisions. Camera Issue

Name
Zoe
Edit My Images
Yes
This is gonna be a mixed reply post....

What i would like to know is what camera to go for. I am Using the Olympus E-420 atm with the 14-42mm and the 44=150mm lenses.

I want to upgrade and i have my eye on the Nikon D90 and the Canon Eos 450D

In order to upgrade i will have to sell my beloved Fluval Roma Designer Aquarium:( But will be worth it:naughty:

Are the Canon lenses Cheaper than Nikon?

Put it this way i would rather go for the one thats cheapest in long run Ie to buy lenses for. The camera i have just now the lenses are so expensive:(

Ps. Anyone wanna buy My aquarium:naughty:

I know it's not on your list but have a look at Pentax, you can get a lot more for your money :)

Details of aquarium? Might be interested for my son, he is a fish keeper.

Keep an eye on the TP classifieds, you can see current prices for lenses. I've had 2 so far at very good prices. There's also a thread listing used dealers.

It's a nightmare picking your first DSLR, I lost my mind until I posted here.
Take your time, go to PC WORLD not to buy, but you can handle them all you want without any hassle, from staff etc.

Think mainly what it is that you want the camera for, portraits-landscape-street-weddings etc.
Are you just keeping it on auto mode, no shame in this but it will give you more options as to the make you choose, you may not need one of the 2 big names?
you will get loads of help here, but in the end YOUR the one who lives with it
No pressure...
good luck

Usual advice, find a camera shop and go and try the different cameras out, they all take decent pics nowadays, so don't buy something based solely on the spec or someone else's recommendation, make sure you are comfortable using the camera.

remember you are buying into a system not just into a camera you want for a year or two, the lenses maybe expensive but u stick with the same brand the lenses wont have to be replaced.
The corollary of this is that you shouldn't get too carried away by the fact that one camera has a whizzy feature that another doesn't. I'm sure there must be people who switch from brand "A" to brand "B" because the newest body from "B" has some new feature, and then a year later they regret it because the even-newer body from "A" has something else.

Take a look at the lenses and accessories in each line-up and decide which fits your needs (and your budget) best. And check that you're happy with the handling of the different systems. All Canons DSLRs handle pretty much the same way, ditto all Nikons, but the two systems are very dfferent and some people find one much easier to get to grips with than the other.

I wouldn't pick a camera on price alone. Everyone has a budget though, so decide your buget for the body and first lens - most of the kit lenses are at least competent even if they're not stellar performers. Having decided what you're going to spend, have a look at some magazines to see what cameras fall under (or close to) your budget and make a shortlist of those that fit your requirements (you may want a high frame rate, loads of MP or something) then decide where you're going to buy it. Visit the shop and try the cameras on your shortlist for feel then hand over your cash/card and walk out hoping you've made the right decision!

Not sure I would ever trade in anything "beloved" to fund photography, besides, fish in the aquarium make great models!

Thanks guys.

regarding go and see how it feels in my hands. There is No point as they all feel akward. I am Left Handed and every camera i have ever seen is for right handed people

Dont think they make left handed cameras. Well as far as i am aware:LOL:

You'll have to learn to use it right handed. I have to and you get used to it.

True. Had to learn to do everything else right handed. No Leftie constructions when i was younger:LOL:
had to learn the right way.

It just feels sooooo uncomfy:bang:

Edit... So all in all no poitn in trying the feel of it as they will all feel the same

True. Had to learn to do everything else right handed. No Leftie constructions when i was younger:LOL:
had to learn the right way.

It just feels sooooo uncomfy:bang:

Edit... So all in all no poitn in trying the feel of it as they will all feel the same

May as well just get a Canon then, they feel awkward at the best of times :LOL: :exit:

You'll have to learn to use it right handed. I have to and you get used to it.

What about a canon battery grip, does that make it any easier? It would allow your right hand to hold, then left can use the dial etc. OBviously camera is 90 degrees at that point, but is it easier to hold?

Cause the Oly Is Pants. Lenses cost a arm and a leg. No Image stablisation. MP are Panties. Not a good deal of Lenses to choose from

All in all I feel i could do more :)

The lenses may cost more, but they are all top quality bits of glass that you will not need to upgrade.

I had an E-3 - Loved it to bits, and had some of the real nice lenses (35-100 F2 / 50-200 F2.8-3.5 / 12-60 SWD / 50mm Macro) and since changing to the D700 (though i needed the extra low light capaibilty :thinking:) i've not found anything that fits the nikon that is as good as the Oly glass. The edge sharpness of the ZD glass is second to none.

As for the lack of choice - the lens choice for Nikon & Canon is a minefield with a lot of dross out there. It may be cheap, but its crap! Not to mention sample variation (otherwise known as the lens lottery!)

Think long and hard before switching and make sure you're doing it for the right reason.

:)

Back