Gull (?) landing on Thames - processing suggestions?

Edit My Images
Yes
Think it's a gull. Anyway, I was hoping that people could recommend how I process this?

If you want to have a play yourself, the original file can be found at this link in DNG format (10.8Mb). All I've changed in the JPEG (apart from the size) is the exposure as it came in from Bridge.

Hi there,

This would be my take!

Obviously cropped...but also I duplicated the layer, added a little motion blur, then deleted the bird so it stays nice and sharp. Also tweeked the levels.

landing1.jpg

Thanks, Coupekid :)

Seems a bit dark, but I can see what you're doing it. It's definitely a stronger contrast, which does make for a bit of a bolder image. Still doesn't quite do it for me ... I wonder what else could be done to try and make it come to life.

To be fair, its just a picture of a gul, above some murky water.

I dont think much more can be done, without going ott.

Its a nice sharp image though, so well done for that !!

You are right ... (y) ... it's a Black-headed Gull in Winter plumage ... ;)

I think somewhere between the two might work with a bit more sharpening and a little more saturation to bring out the red in its legs and beak ... :shrug:

:p

To be fair, its just a picture of a gul, above some murky water.

It seemed so much more impressive in real life. Damn you for saying the truth! :D

Ok, so I've got sharpness and a tenuous grasp of bird-naming. Next I shall work on finding a good composition ... bloody composition! Always kills me.

It seemed so much more impressive in real life. Damn you for saying the truth! :D

Ok, so I've got sharpness and a tenuous grasp of bird-naming. Next I shall work on finding a good composition ... bloody composition! Always kills me.

I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way, I had a feeling you wouldn't !!

Its great practise for shooting moving objects if nothing else ! I've read your thread about composition and it interests me greatly, only because I'm in exactly the same boat !!

No no no ... I'll only take exception if I disagree with something that I know about, and for most stuff on here, either I'll agree or I'll not have the faintest about it. If I'm being brutally honest, it's normally both ;)

Yes, well I've ordered one of the books they were talking about (Book Depository seems to be half the price of every Amazon book they sell ...), so maybe that will give me some pointers. I guess hanging around here and seeing my photos will answer that, one way or another! :D

Thanks, Coupekid :)

Seems a bit dark, but I can see what you're doing it. It's definitely a stronger contrast, which does make for a bit of a bolder image. Still doesn't quite do it for me ... I wonder what else could be done to try and make it come to life.

Add a crocodile coming out the water about to attack ? :LOL:

I think had you waited for the feet to touch the water, then you would have had a more pleasing image. Or had a slightly slower shutter, and captured a little motion blur.

To be honest, I dont think there is much more you can do with it. Your right about the darkness though, my take is a little on the dark side.

Heres a similar bird from a different angle to give you another idea.

Back