hahahaha AVforums.com

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
had to laugh, i got a telling off from senior moderator for using the word penis on a family forum (i was taking the mick out of all those folks that feel it neccesary to list every single item of av (and camera gear) on their signiture, as if anyone really cares....

this family forum has an adults dvd section.... is that really appropriate on a family forum?

make of that what you will

but it made me laugh!:wave: :bonk:

Hmmm - avoids gazing at my own sig;)

Depends alot of forums will have section not suitable for family, but they are in an obvious area, whereas if your using words in the general parts I can understand them being a bit protective, however its like most things, theres a grey area, personally I wouldnt consider it offensive, however it could be used in an offensive manner (the word I mean;) ).

Surprised they didnt just tell you not to use it (again Im talking about the word;) ) and let it go, if they gave you a real grilling for it though I think it would be making a something out of nothing.

But then this whole incident depends on whether your a repeat offender - first instance though I cant see why it wouldnt just be edited out.

(y)

whitewash said:
had to laugh, i got a telling off from senior moderator for using the word penis on a family forum

Its what you call the power trip...;)

I am all for moderation policies on a forum but I had the same trouble some time back over something very minor..:|

Best thing to do is stay away.. I did..(y)

I can't wait until DJW see's this thread..:LOL:

LOL...your a soft lad Jamey....real men get bans ;). Can't decide if your brave or suicidal posting comment re Sigs, especially on here :cautious: :LOL:

whitewash said:
i was taking the mick out of all those folks that feel it neccesary to list every single item of av (and camera gear) on their signiture, as if anyone really cares....

Ooooh - you're brave. Have you seen some of the sigs on here?? :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Hmmm... Not that it matters, but sometimes when posting images, it helps for some of those new to this to know what kind of kit was used. It just saves writing it all out again and again.
But you're quite right - kit snobbery is a pain - we just do it here to wind each other up a bit and it's all in very good fun (despite some people occasionally getting the wrong end of the stick). The Canon-eers on here rag me for using cameras with chips made of plastic string and bottle-tops, and I rag them for using cameras made out of surplus Soviet T-34 engine parts.

Personally I think the sig can be useful, you always get posts saying 'what lens was that?', but I do realise that there can be a bit of willy (much less offensive) waving going on sometimes.

:)

Next thing people will be placing their own websites in their Sigs !! ;) Only Joking all those with links :)

DJW said:
Next thing people will be placing their own websites in their Sigs !! ;) Only Joking all those with links :)

True - and lets not even get started on avatars;)

lol, i like seeing gear in sigs, can never really see the point of having your hifi equipment listed but i suppose that maybe AV buffs have the same anal tendancies as us camera fans!

I'm no stranger to having a go at moderators - many of them (no offence) don't seem to have read their own site's Terms and Conditions of Use - what excuse for people constantly getting away with breaking the rules?

I'm not going to name names, but I've been banned from the same forum eight times, before they eventually rumbled me and banned my IP - can't even read their forum now let alone post on it. I got banned from another forum for telling everybody that the site owner "liked c*ck" after witnessing his inept moderating antics for several months. I left another forum by choice after a run-in with a dense moderator, and finally, I once branded a whole team of moderators 'imbeciles' for letting a certain clique of people get away with virtual murder (swearing, trolling etc), while only weeks earlier they'd banned somebody for posting a picture of a kitten. :shrug: I also changed my username to a handful of swearwords. I've just reached the end of an eight-month ban for that one.

Oh... in case the moderators here have just gone to DefCon 1, should probably add that I do behave myself 99.9% of the time. But if I ever think something's wrong, I'm gonna tell you. I'm sure you wouldn't have it any other way, though. ;)

Just as well you've lost all those tendencies now then, with your new skills in diplomacy in the current job ;)

DJW said:
Just as well you've lost all those tendencies now then, with your new skills in diplomacy in the current job ;)
Haven't started yet. The dole office have f***ed me about since I did the course in March - they still haven't given me my licence application fee (£190), and the guaranteed job I had is long gone.

The dole office are now whining because I'm telling them there's no way in hell I'm working for £5/hour, when I COULD be working for nearly 3x that if only they'd get their fat, lazy arses in gear and do what they promised me they'd do nearly 3 months ago. :bang:

im all for members telling us if something is wrong, the way to do it is through the contact us or report post button, every member of the team gets the email(as it was very simple to set that up, we now get ALL the emails that come in via the contact us link) we will discuss your concerns and then get back to you. If you get banned, you know we didnt like it....;)

Hehe Matty is right. What people have done on other forums has no bearing on their status here.

While here, specific rules aside, as long as you are courteous and polite to other members (including the staff), then you should be fine.
In my experience, when I've banned people on other forums, it's not been about actual specific rule breakages per se, it's been about attitude and manners.

I'm all for someone telling me (privately), that they don't like such and such a thing about me, but do it politely. Start insulting me for no reason, and that's when I get offended. I suppose it's the same on most forums.

Matty's right too...If anyone has a problem with us or the forums, then ON the forums is not the place to air that grievance. (This will be part of the new FAQ/Terms/Rules that we're writing up specific to our site).
We'll listen and discuss every single concern put to us, justified or not, but only when it comes to us via the proper channel, and that's via the Contact us link.

All site staff get a copy of what is sent and we will soon have measures in place so that a discussion is automatically started in private, once the feature is used. Complaining on the forum about us or the forum isn't the right way to do it.
It's not that we're trying to hide anything from anyone else, just that posts of such a negative nature (justified or not), tend to drag everyone out of the woodwork, and experience has taught us, that they usually do more harm than good, and more than often end up becoming heated arguments with people goint 'OTT' as it were.

But if anyone doesn't like anything we've done, then please tell us via the Contact Us link. We're all ears, I promise.

Warspite said:
True - and lets not even get started on avatars;)

Talking of which ... why no mug shot or anything any more GfK ??? :shrug:

Not thinking of a new one after all this mallarkey are we now ... :cautious:

DJW said:
LOL...your a soft lad Jamey....real men get bans ;)

avforums makes me laugh, i got threatened in the past by the mod team for using the word **** < yes printed just like that, i sensored myself. now im properly waving my stick in the wind, my pm from senior admin has just been copied into my signiture:clap: :bonk:

whitewash said:
avforums makes me laugh, i got threatened in the past by the mod team for using the word **** < yes printed just like that, i sensored myself. now im properly waving my stick in the wind, my pm from senior admin has just been copied into my signiture:clap: :bonk:

:nuts: I thought you meant in your signature over here then, was just about to have a coronary :p

jewel said:
Good to know Marcel! :cautious: :p :D

:p

That said, we don't want to become lepers of the internet, so would like to keep our relationships with other forums and their staff friendly and amicable, so I'd rather any forum fallouts or complaints didn't follow anyone here ;)...lol

Marcel said:
:p

That said, we don't want to become lepers of the internet, so would like to keep our relationships with other forums and their staff friendly and amicable, so I'd rather any forum fallouts or complaints didn't follow anyone here ;)...lol

what he says. Its good to keep a friendly relationship going with other forums - except the Nova forums. Crappy little car :shrug:

Matty said:
what he says. Its good to keep a friendly relationship going with other forums - except the Nova forums. Crappy little car :shrug:

Oih, I had one of them I'll let you know. :nono::nono::nono:

Matt said:
Oih, I had one of them I'll let you know. :nono::nono::nono:

you can confirm their crappyness then, as you have first hand experience :p

Oh, Novas - that reminds me.

See that news story a few days ago? Three chavs gone over beachy head in a Nova.

So tragic.

Such a waste.

A Nova has four seats.

GfK said:

See that news story a few days ago? Three chavs gone over beachy head in a Nova.

So tragic.

Such a waste.

A Nova has four seats.

Ahahahahahaha, fell off chair and banged me chin, doh!

whitewash said:

Oohh, putting things in Signatures they don't like.....yep Ban on the way (y) If you want to speed it up, just insert a link in your Sig ;)

GfK said:

So tragic.

Such a waste.

A Nova has four seats.

Now that's funny !?! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back