Half frame cameras

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for advice about picking up a half-frame camera. One mate has got a Diana Mini, which seems fun, if pricey for the ropey build quality.

Another mate has picked up an old PEN, which is much better built, but more expensive and a bit of a lottery regarding whether they work properly.

I've got a Pentax ME & a digi PEN, but just quite fancied having a play with a half-frame film camera, so would appreciate any advice on what options are out there.

Unfortunately I can't help with half frame cameras specifically, but regarding the reliability and working properly issue, have you considered factoring in a service/CLA? They may not always be especially 'cheap', and may even outweigh the purchase cost of the camera, but the trade-off is that you get a camera that functions as well as it did coming off the production line.

Friend of mine has a canon demi, cost him £15 and takes nice piccies.

Friend of mine has a canon demi, cost him £15 and takes nice piccies.

How does focusing work on the demi? They look like beautiful cameras but i have heard people say that canon "failed to include even the most basic focusing system". While i doubt that it's something i want to check up on before i go looking for one :)

Thanks, so... you have to guess the distance between the lens and the subject? And the viewfinder doesn't actually have numerical markings, so even if you had an external rangefinder you'd have to look at the position of the dial itself? Hmm.

The service/CLA idea is a good one - I'll have a quick tout around and see what it costs 'round here (Cardiff - if anyone has any recommendations?)

The service/CLA idea is a good one - I'll have a quick tout around and see what it costs 'round here (Cardiff - if anyone has any recommendations?)

I've used and recommend Miles Whitehead @ http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/ - I paid about £40 for a CLA of my Pentax MX, which considering the seals replacement alone and having a professional doing it, let alone the actual servicing of the camera, means I think that it was quite a good deal. I'm not entirely sure if he does half frame cameras, but I'm sure sending him an email would answer that question in a flash.

Your options for a focussing half-frame are pretty limited - and to my mind are best fulfilled by a Pen FT. Need a bigger budget than for a viewfinder model, obviously, but they're just lovely......

Back