Happy hour!

Edit My Images
Yes
You can guess what it's going to be... Another one of Angi's ideas, executed by me :)

And the obligatory set up pic :LOL::

Cocktail.jpg

That is a stunning shot matey.

I took a few while my internet was down but totally blew it and used on-board flash so have about five blurry collisions :( Will have to try again and actually follow your instructions this time. I may have one keeper though ;)

Very nice image, well executed, lovely.

Once again, STUNNING!!

Awsum, really liking that one - would love to see one as a martini with olive at bottom. Love all the splash marks on the cloth too lol.

Brilliant shot Ash

very nice indeed (y)

what lens do you use for your macro shots

This one is really good Ash, I'm a sucker for anything with sucha clean white BG and it's a great idea too.

Vi x

Thank you all so much for the comments! This one is a new favourite of mine :)

RE the lens: it was just my 18-55 kit lens :)

RE the taste: it was red-dyed water, it won't taste very nice at all! :p

Super shot Ash, have you checked out Martin Vaugh's site? he was the man behind the Smirnoff water drop ad Linky

Super shot Ash, have you checked out Martin Vaugh's site? he was the man behind the Smirnoff water drop ad Linky

Oh I have indeed checked out his images Alby! The master :cool:

Which smirnoff ad do you mean? :thinking:

EDIT: just found it, very cool :) But yeh, his images are simply outstanding!

Last edited:
Wow, amazing shot! I keep meaning to try taking water drop shots but thought I needed a macro lens - but given you've achieved such an awesome result using a 18-55, I think I definitely have to give this a go now. However, wonder if I'll achieve the results with only 1 flash rather than 2? :thinking:

Last edited:
Wow, amazing shot! I keep meaning to try taking water drop shots but thought I needed a macro lens - but given you've achieved such an awesome result using a 18-55, I think I definitely have to give this a go now. However, wonder if I'll achieve the results with only 1 flash rather than 2? :thinking:

Thanks! Yeh, all my shots are done with a 18-55mm kit lens, as currently I can't afford anything else!

And yes certainly they can be achieved with only one flash :) I only recently-ish got the second flash :)

This is my favourite out of the themed collision shots Ash, superbly executed. It looks stunning!

More ideas for you to try Ash as my flash is well and truly knackered so I cant even try them out:crying:
:-
1/Tomato juice/ cream of tomato soup - a large tomato with the top cut off, filled with soup, juice, or dyed water, lol and a droplet collision with dyed water/juice or cream/milk?

2/Fruit cocktail - how about a hollowed out water melon, or pineapple filled with juice, with cherries and cocktail umbrella on the top and a collision going into that?

3/A small paint pot, maybe one of the matchpot ones, or a kids tub of paint, with a brush or two and a droplet going into the paint tub?

I look forward to seeing the results if you have the time and inclination?

I really like this shot it's a great idea, however if I was been ultra critical I think it could be improved upon by lighting the slice of lemon from the front rather than the back, also I'd liked to have seen the size of the drop a little larger it's kind of dwarfed by the size of the glass.

Maybe this is one of those shots that needs all the elements shot separately then put together in photoshop rather than trying to get it all in one shot?

I really like this shot it's a great idea, however if I was been ultra critical I think it could be improved upon by lighting the slice of lemon from the front rather than the back, also I'd liked to have seen the size of the drop a little larger it's kind of dwarfed by the size of the glass.

Maybe this is one of those shots that needs all the elements shot separately then put together in photoshop rather than trying to get it all in one shot?

Yeh I agree about the lemon and size of the droplet collision. That's the thing about these "themed" collisions, they almost always dwarf the collision as they are suprisingly small. And I didn't think about the lemon until afterwards! Just lightened it in PP :)

I am against putting them all together in photoshop I think really, kinda defeats the point in my opinion.

I am against putting them all together in photoshop I think really, kinda defeats the point in my opinion.

That's fair enough as they say the more you get right in frame the less time you need to spend farting around in photoshop:D

Prehaps then the answer would be to use a light tent but I guess that wouldn't stay clean for very long with the splashes:thinking:

That's fair enough as they say the more you get right in frame the less time you need to spend farting around in photoshop:D

Prehaps then the answer would be to use a light tent but I guess that wouldn't stay clean for very long with the splashes:thinking:

I do have a light tent... never used it with the splashes however :)

you must be very sure of your technique to attempt that shot, how many kleenex did it take? or was it a one shot affair, that'd be mighty impressive :D

great shot :)

you must be very sure of your technique to attempt that shot, how many kleenex did it take? or was it a one shot affair, that'd be mighty impressive :D

great shot :)

I have practised the technique quite a lot :LOL: :LOL: This one was about 100-150 shots I believe to get the form I wanted. The set up picture you see was after the event, and as you can see there's minimal splashing :) So just a bit of clean up in post production. I had to change the fluid and re-do the sugar around the rim once, but that's it. Didn't take too long :) Thanks!

I think it's about time you made a video of your technique, I get the jist of how these shot's are done but I'd personaly like to see it in video format if possible to get an idea of the flow rate of the drops etc.

I think it's about time you made a video of your technique, I get the jist of how these shot's are done but I'd personaly like to see it in video format if possible to get an idea of the flow rate of the drops etc.

I may do just that if I get a moment :)

Lovely composition Ash, great shot!!! Albeit it's a pity the lemon slice isn't illuminaed a wee bit.

Back