Happy Renewal of Year c.1880

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
A return to the beginning of photography .

Well not the very beginning as dry plates weren’t available to start with, nonetheless thanks to J Lane and Chromagraphica we now have the opportunity in the 21st century to produce photographs from dry plates like what were used back in the 19th century.

This is a 5x4 plate......5x7 and 10x8 will follow in the not too distant future.
64B5CCE7-A32B-48B8-9BBF-5999E355B94D.jpeg

Consider this to be an open thread to anyone else who may have glass plate results to post @StephenM

Last edited:
I presently have a one box of each format , 5x4, 5x7 , 10x8 and 9x12 for the recently acquired detective camera from the same era, sat in my shopping basket.
I have some slower speed plates here to try yet but going on that result , the 25 iso looks perfect.

The chroma graphic holders are spot on.
The darkslides require nothing more than a good buff up with Mr Sheen or equivalent to make them slide easier.
Easy enough to load and the latch for pushing out the exposed plate works a treat.

All in all, good fun :)

How much are the dry plates Asha?

I get mine from Germany .... a box of ten plates 5x4 cost 45 euros plus post so almost 60 euros.

I don’t know how that compares to uk suppliers ( analogue wonderland sell them)

10x8 are 86 euros for a box of FIVE plates so they don’t come cheap but as I’ve said before, it depends what on what one wants from ones hobby;)

How much are the dry plates Asha?

Paul's also going to start stocking the ChromaGraphica double dry plate holders too.

(y)

I get mine from Germany .... a box of ten plates 5x4 cost 45 euros plus post so almost 60 euros.

I don’t know how that compares to uk suppliers ( analogue wonderland sell them)

10x8 are 86 euros for a box of FIVE plates so they don’t come cheap but as I’ve said before, it depends what on what one wants from ones hobby;)

Per square inch, the 10x8 plates are less than half the price of the 5x4s. How's your glass cutting in the dark? ;)

Per square inch, the 10x8 plates are less than half the price of the 5x4s. How's your glass cutting in the dark? ;)
Cutting paper with scissors or guillotine under a safelight is easy..... glass on the other hand:runaway:

Indeed, hence the ;) .

BUT, thinking on it a little longer, I'm sure that a tile cutter could be set to cut accurately enough and that it wouldn't take too much practice to do it in the dark. Not saying it would be the easiest task in the world but neither is loading a Patterson spiral in a changing bag!

Given that a red safelight can be used, you only work in the dark if you want to. Assuming you have a darkroom. But then, who doesn't these days? :)

That would make cutting a lot easier!

A quick scan at 3200 dpi offer you guys some idea of what the emulsion has to offer;

I clearly underexposed , but the emulsion speed , according to J Lane, can vary considerably with UV levels so there is a learning curve;

Nonetheless, the underexposure is in one way beneficial....to see how much grain is visible in the ( almost) lost shadows

1. Original scan with no adjustments whatsoever:

Original File TP.jpg

2. Two 100% crops to show the grain or lack of it

100% crop of original TP.jpg

100% crop of original 2 TP.jpg

3. Original scan with slight contrast adjustment and sharpening.

Contrast reduced TP.jpg

Back