Hard drives

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking to add an external hard drive to my iMac Retina 5k. The mac is about 5 years old or there abouts with a 1TB Fusion built in drive.

Im looking for something quick to transfer images to and from- imac has thunderbolt( is this the best option for me?)

Looking around 5TB or slightly more. Will be used to store images on and the odd time just to edit them in photoshop.

Any suggestions based on the criteria-5tb min, fast, reliable and cost effective( no lower limit but prefer under £450 if possible.

Cheers.

I normally use Samsung T7 SSD external drives with my Macs, I think they only go up to 2gb - could be wrong though. They accept a heck of a lot of RAWs as I'm rubbish at deleting my crap shots, and touch wood have never let me down

Mike

Thanks for the reply. The bigger Z9 files are taking up loads of space. I plan on buying 2 drives and also save to the cloud. Just need to get rid if old drives once i transfer images off them. Larger drives of around 4tb or 5tb would suit. Not sure if i need thunderbolt drives as they are few and far between for thunderbolt 2

I looked and saw a Sandisk 4gb on Amazon, was about £300 though. I’ve got mine attached via usb-c and never had any speed issues.

I have a Sony A1 so similar size files as yours.

Beyond that, I can’t really help further

I normally use Samsung T7 SSD external drives with my Macs, I think they only go up to 2gb
Shurely shum mishtake? :naughty:

I've just put a 2 terabyte Samsung 870 in my backup Acer Travelmate and very satisfactory it is too. (y)

Acer Travelmate N15Q1 circuit board hard disk and SSD P1240181.jpg

Last edited:
Is it necessary to have a large fast external?
I use a Sandisc extreme 1TB external to dump images onto after a trip then once I’ve done editing transfer to a 6TD normal hard drive for long term storage and also back up to other drives and cloud

I would be wary of putting all of my eggs into one basket, so to speak. Why not buy a few drives to spread the storage between them?

I would be wary of putting all of my eggs into one basket, so to speak. Why not buy a few drives to spread the storage between them?
As mentioned i will get 2 drives and also have cloud backup. I will copy onto both drives and have the jpgs go to the cloud. Im thinking of getting 2 of the Sandisk Pro G Drive 5tb. Any thoughts?

I think one of your challenges could be finding old style Thunderbolt interface drives that are a reasonable price.

I think one of your challenges could be finding old style Thunderbolt interface drives that are a reasonable price.
Yeah all but gave up on that idea. Looked and my iMac is a late 2015 so getting old. It will get replaced later in the year i think.

There's no doubt that a Thunderbolt SSD will transform a machine of that age. Luckily for a couple of family members, I had a couple of 500GB ones that I let them borrow.

If you wait the WD easystores come up on sale, i got 2 8tb for less than £400, i shucked them and stuck them in my server

Or elements too - same thing pretty much, click on each storage amount at the price variance per gb for each model differs considerably

Back