Hardest sport you have covered..

I've covered a hand full of these events over the past few months and all on spec (selling to the fighters). Not the greatest of earners but ok filler jobs.

All the ones i know about have someone like MMAPics on the job so cant really go on spec :(

Drifting demo sessions (not comps - more time between runs and only one or two at a time).... fine until the first few cars have been through!

I've covered a hand full of these events over the past few months and all on spec (selling to the fighters). Not the greatest of earners but ok filler jobs.

I don't know what the going rates are there, but once upon a time I was averaging £80-125 in sales per event, and have had £200-300, as much as £450 pay days. Unfortunately those days are over thanks to "photographers" that are handing away work, and selling CD's for £13.

I don't know what the going rates are there, but once upon a time I was averaging £80-125 in sales per event, and have had £200-300, as much as £450 pay days. Unfortunately those days are over thanks to "photographers" that are handing away work, and selling CD's for £13.

I would about £200 is about average depending on how many fights. I've only attended one show when I wasnt the only photographer and as they wasnt selling on the night anyway it didnt affect me. I charge £20 per fight/CD.

I have a couple of friends who cover paintball events, now that to me seems like a very anti photographer environment

I have a couple of friends who cover paintball events, now that to me seems like a very anti photographer environment

As much as I fancy trying to photogrpah that.. you wouldnt want a stray shot down yer lens hood :)

If we go for tough sports to photograph.. it all depends on what level of the game and where you do it.
Many have said Ice Hockey - maybe true in the UK. But you go to Finland, North America.. even France. And the arena's are well light and it's a pleasure.
Same with basketball - poor light (did I hear someone say Northgate Arena in Chester??). But move to the professional leagues in Europe and you'll be smiling.
Football in the UK (top divisions is OK to cover) - but go to smaller grounds (or countries where footy isn't the only sport) and you'll be crying after 5pm.

Winter sports in general are quite tough - consider this. -20 degrees outside and snowing.. and you've been standing in the blizzard for two and half hours as the men are going through the 50km loop..
Boxing due to the position and darkness is another tough one..

Back