Has 2009 been as kind as you would have liked?

Name
Edward Fury
Edit My Images
Yes
Well folks, were over half way through the year, seen sun, snow, and lots of rain.
But has 2009 been a good year for your landscape shooting? What has been the highligh of the photographic year so far and what do you hope that the year still hold in store for you?

Ill get the ball rolling, with the snow in February being my highlight of the year so far. Since its very rare that we get any depth of snow I felt it was crucial to make the best of the heavy snowfall. My only problem was I was new to large format and hoped against hope that I didnt screw up. Satisfyingly, i didnt think i did too badly, with this being one of my personal favorites from the 2009 calender so far.

What am I looking forward to the rest of the year? I want to get some more coastal work its the place that inspires me the most, a colourful autumn would be nice, as would some misty dawns. Then some hard frost, but hey we cant have it all.

This has been an absolutely EPIC year I feel. I eventually committed myself to landscapes and have found a level of determination that I have never really experienced in any other aspect of my life. I am enjoying it loads. Whilst I seem to be going down a route which is quite over the top, and somewhat unnatural, I am happy with it. If I had to choose a few photos which I think I will look back on with a smile on my face, they are below.

17870581.jpg

51194703.jpg

ranbowovermullsmall.jpg

001mso.jpg

With regards to the highlight of the year? It has to be the sky Motorhome trip we all took. It was absolutely fantastic. Mike really helped me understand some new techniques, and I really enjoyed catching up with Woodsy, Gandhi and Blapto, as well as meeting Raathistle and Welly.

I hope to continue a journey of "self discovery" over the next year, and I also hope to have a style which people enjoy and can also recognise me by. More importantly, I hope that I really learn to tame my eye, and get to a consistently excellent level. This may take a lot longer than a year though :D

Gary.

I also hope to have a style which people enjoy and can also recognise me by. More importantly, I hope that I really learn to tame my eye, and get to a consistently excellent level. This may take a lot longer than a year though.

Forget a year, I think you're there already!

Steve.

good to hear your having a good year so far gary! must be a good year in general for the landscape toggers. I think this has to be my most challenging year yet, with shooting all my landscape work on large format. But i think Ive got a really good crop so far. Hope this second half of the year is as good as the first

This has been an absolutely EPIC year I feel. I eventually committed myself to landscapes and have found a level of determination that I have never really experienced in any other aspect of my life. I am enjoying it loads.

completely my thoughts aswell

learnt about more in-depth landscape techniques, bought filters and which have improved my shots massively

managed to get my prints into a lot of local shops and have increased sales 200% every month over the last 4 months, hope it continues :)

drew

Is 2009 a good year?

YES.

I have made some massive changes in my personal life and I am starting to see some improvments in the quality of my life now (but still a long way to go).

I have finally stopped messing around with cameras and and started talking real photographs. I look back at the “snaps” I was taking last year and I’m very happy to see the progression I’m making. I’m finally concentrating on details. And we all know it’s the details and make an image work.

And just to top it off I have had my first cheque for photographic work in the post today! How good did that feel!

So 2009 is a really good year for me :) (in parts)

Debs

The quality of these just shines through.

It was a great year for landscapes with special light in all the seasons......lets pray for more.

No 2 is SO good I would put the gear under the stairs and pack it all in.....no need to carry on...mission accomplished.
keith(y)

Great idea for a thread :)

has 2009 been a good year for your landscape shooting?
Nope not really, I haven't been able to get out there as much as I'd like due to various things getting in the way. I was also involved in a head on smash the day before I was due to go away to Skye for a dedicated photographic holiday in March, how unlucky was that! :bang: I still made it up there (had to delay for a few days), got some good shots but was well and truly doing it all through the pain barrier.

What has been the highligh of the photographic year so far
Visiting Harris and Lewis without a doubt, can't wait to go back

Soft Light at Traigh Niosaboist
6562_4477321304a2ee3fe6d104.jpg

My favourite shot from the trip, who needs the golden hour? :p

and what do you hope that the year still hold in store for you?
I've got a list of locations that I want to visit in order to expand my portfolio - realistically I can't see much progress being made until late September when the colours begin to change. Looking forward to the winter months

We shout all go on a giant TP wide landscape toggers meet, would be great fun!! :D

indeed, but then surely we would just fill the landscape we were trying to photograph :/

For landscapes I have to say yes and no. The Highlands in January has been my highlight. (well it IS hard to top) :)

But other than that I've not been out anywhere! at all!

Life has just been far too busy. Work has been hectic, starting a new job in March and learning that as I go along, and starting my own photography business has taken a lot of my time. I still have my family to attend to as well and sometimes it's hard to make it all fit.

Will be going to the lakes for a few days at the end of the month though and kept a few days holiday back for Sept/Oct in the hope that we get some good weather. :)

I'd have to agree with Ali!

The only place I've really been is the New Forest.
Got a few shots I'm content with:

3767743445_c889bdb5f4.jpg

3767743327_f76625a198.jpg

Apart from that, the shots I like are just randoms.

3768544114_e0a6f15052.jpg

3767743725_dd85c6b188.jpg

3768543302_acd0ce603f.jpg

Have to admit, I'm much more of a cityscape fella.

3767743601_e161e06ed2.jpg

3767743097_db2f5a1dc8.jpg

3767742905_7376c1f448.jpg

Sorry for posting all the pictures! Don't want to clog up the thread :eek:

Back