Has anyone bought a Canon dslr in Thailand?

Edit My Images
Yes
After deciding to wait for the new canon 450 to be released before I buy (and getting VERY impatient), we have booked a holiday to Thailand leaving the beginning of May.

I know that certain goods can be an excellent buy, and wondered if anyone has any knowledge of whether it'd be worth waiting and buying the camera there? Also what other 'bits and pieces' should I make a point of investing my 'birthday money' in?

In total I'll have 6 days in Bangkok, split at the beginning and the end of my hols, so there's plenty of time to get around.

Not bought or imported one from Thailand but if you buy abroad your waranty won't be valid in the UK.

Will probably be cheaper so you have to weigh up and see if it's worth loosing a 12 month waranty over cheaper prices. You can get 3rd party waranties here though (gotta pay for them, odviously).

Just remember to walk though the "Nothing to Declare" channel when you get back.

Just remember to walk though the "Nothing to Declare" channel when you get back.

and hope nobody takes an unwelcome interest in your expensive new toys, I once watched a man walk through with a brand new SLR swinging round his neck thinking he's get away with it, after 10 minutes of chatting the customs man convinced him that it would be a good idea to start the conversation again unless he wanted to risk something more serious than paying the duty which he duly did.

just post the boxes back to yourself from said country... no boxes / receipt, no proof it's new, surely. :shrug:

and take a CF card with you thats got some shots taken in Jessops from the same sort of camera ;)

Thanks - great idea about the post :naughty:

But before I decide I want to make sure the saving would be worthwhile.

Back