Has my camera got a problem?

Edit My Images
No
Hi.

I wonder if some fellow Canon 400D user could tell me if their camera records images with the format "IMG_1234" or "_MG_1234".

Reason I ask is I could swear it used to be IMG_1234 when I bought it but a couple of months ago the numbering reset itself and since then it's been _MG_1234. I can't see a way to set this on the camera, other than a numbering reset.

If whoever does check this for me could they do it using the Windows explorer window looking direct at the camera card rather than via the EOS utility as that has the capability to rename the files.

I'm also convinced my camera focus has gone "soft" at around the same time. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? The camera is still under warranty so repair shouldn't be a problem, though quite how I convince the retailer the focus is soft I really don't know (have tested several similar lens with same results).

TIA.

Can't comment on the focus, but I'm pretty sure the "IMG_1234" or "_MG_1234" is all to do with what coulor space you've set the camera. Change it between abobe and RGB and see what happens :)

Can't comment on the focus, but I'm pretty sure the "IMG_1234" or "_MG_1234" is all to do with what coulor space you've set the camera. Change it between abobe and RGB and see what happens :)

Not sure where you gleamed that gem from but you're spot on. AdobeRGB is _MG_1234 and sRGB is IMG_1234.

Now the question is why? What's the reason behind it?

As for focus, it's probably just me as I physically age far quicker than I want to. lol. However, if anyone can suggest a way to test this I'd be interested. I've done the usual multiple lens, on/off tripod, etc... Much the same results to be honest.

Thanks.

I think the reason behind it, is just simply so you can quickly tell the colour space setting of an image, must be important to some people (but I must say slightly lost on me).

Looks like you've hit the nail on the head.

Mines set on RGB and is numbered 'IMG_????' etc.

Not sure exactly what you are asking Hepburn but if you want a quick rundown on the two main colour spaces used visit here. We now have proRGB which Adobe reckon is the widest gamut. Basically shoot as wide as the camera allows (usually AdobeRGB1998) and control your digital workflow according to your output. sRGB is really only for web work so is a last change to image for showing here. (y)

Jon,

Assuming you have a good quality printer, then download the focus test chart from this site http://www.dphotojournal.com/focus-test-chart.pdf and do a little controlled testing.
The results should tell you whether its you or the equipment.

If you need help to analyse the results then get in touch.

Bob

I swear the focusing on my 400D is getting worse! Took it on holiday and downloaded the shots today. See the following examples, need to enlarge the images for a better idea. Shots were taken using the P setting. Bright daylight on both occasions:

First example
Second example

I would try the test suggested in the previous but my printer is old and not that great ....

Not sure exactly what you are asking Hepburn
Thanks for that Gary. I've done a bit of reading up on colour spaces since I posed the question and understand them a lot better now. The main essence of my question was why the camera saves one type as IMG and the other (Adobe) as _MG.

What i'm still keen to discover is whether Adobe software recognises _MG files as Adobe colour space automatically and applies certain settings etc.

Back