Have a go at my great grandmother

Edit My Images
Yes
melevo has done some excellent work on the old wedding photos I posted. I mentioned that I had a very old photo of my great grandmother and melevo asked for the chance to tackle the image which I reckon may well be over a 100 years old. The image may look like a drawing but it seems to be a photograph. I can't remove it from the photo album, so I cannot read what is on the back. I would welcome any attempts to improve it. This image is a jpeg conversion from the tiff file that the scanner produced. I set the resolution at 600 ppi. There is no editing of the file at all.

3078486176_76eb88f4c4_o.jpg

If you want I will rescan with a higher resolution, please feel free to ask. The original image is about 3 megapixels post scanning, so I have resized to 800 pixels on the longer side. I look forward to seeing what you can do with this formidable lady.

She must have been a tough old bird. She probably escaped from Poland or Russia and made a new life in England. You've done a good job on capturing that spirit that she used to carry her through her adventures. Well done.

now thats a challange, that will keep me off the streets.

I must be in the minority, but I like the original best, Russell!

Hi Russell

I had a quick go, I missed your other wedding photos would you like to have a go with them

Dave

Thanks Dave, I think the B&W captures the harshness of her life. Please feel free to have a go at the wedding images.

Heres my effort:thumbsdown:

Thanks gordie. Well done eliminating the lines that give the effect of a drawing. Even in your version she looks severe and you've given her more colour. My grandmother died when I was 9 so I never met this woman nor have I heard any stories about her. I do know that she came to this country from Poland or Russia, but that's all.

now thats a challange, that will keep me off the streets.

I look forward to seeing what you come up. You did a great job with the wedding images. I am going to post the image of my parents' wedding on Geni and Facebook, as well as sending it to my brother and sister.

I must be in the minority, but I like the original best, Russell!

Thanks Janice. These photographers of old knew what they were doing, they just had different equipment from us. Several of the wedding images were 8x6 which clearly influences the compact cameras of today.

Here is my attempt. Just a few levels tweaks and a small amount of cloning for the spots that was it.

Thanks Andy, you've retained the intensity of the original and it looks good to me. She still looks like a tough old bird to me.

granny.jpg

anothergo.jpg

Back