Have I broken my printer.(update, no)

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
Well not me exactly but my better half but I am partly to blame.
We have a Canon MP600 inkjet and have just used up the original inks, I ordered a set of inks from Choice Stationary but did not realise they needed the chips transferring to the new cartridges. As we did not have to do that with the last ones for the other printer my better half just fitted the black without realising this and it obviously would not recognise it. She then placed the old one back in to finish off what she was doing and it would not recognise it!. I then removed the chip from the old one and fitted it to the replacement and it would not recognise it also.
She is now in a panic as she has an order for wedding invitations to finish off and my concern is that by fitting the cartridge without the chip it has somehow damaged the printer.
Any advice ?. or do we just go out and buy another, one thing for certain is I will make sure the next replacements we buy includes the chip.

Nip out and buy a genuine cartridge, see how that works. Disconnect the printer from the mains and the pc for a minute or two first to see if that 'resets' it.

Nip out and buy a genuine cartridge, see how that works. Disconnect the printer from the mains and the pc for a minute or two first to see if that 'resets' it.
Thanks Steep, better half will try the reset with the replacement cartridge when she gets in as I am not allowed to mess on with the printer as she uses it more than me for her hobby, if it still does not work the we will try a genuine Canon cartridge.
Read somewhere that if the print side of the machine is not working it can not be used as a scanner:wacky:

Just come back with a genuine Canon ink cartridge popped it in and hey presto everything working ok (y).
Lesson learnt, no more chipless cartridges:thumbsdown:, in fact we may just stick with Canon cartridges after this(y).

Back