Hawk Conservancy, March 2011

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
After living within 25 miles of the Hawk Conservancy at Andover for the past 12 years, I finally got around to visiting :LOL: What is it about us never visiting things on our doorstep?

If, like me, you'd love to see birds of prey in their natural habitat but don't have the patience to camp out for days in the wilderness for a glimpse of a bird in the distance, then a trip to the Hawk Conservancy is for you, albeit with some the birds having various radio trackers and tags attached to their feet. The flying displays are the best I've seen, with very little apparent demand on the birds to perform - they do what they want to do, as seen by the Grey Owl which did one flight and then just sat watching the vultures in a neighbouring aviary.

Anyway enough of the waffle, on with the snaps. I wasn't sure if these were more appropriate to be within the zoo section of the forum, but given that they are all birds and some are wild I'll post them here. I am not sure on the identification on some of them.

(1)
DSC_0053.jpg

(2)
DSC_0075.jpg

(3) Tawny Owl (I think?)
DSC_0125.jpg

(4) Male Kestrel
DSC_0181.jpg

(5) Heron
DSC_0201.jpg

(6) Vulture
DSC_9760.jpg

(7) Bald Eagle
DSC_9829.jpg

(8)
DSC_9900.jpg

(9) Vulture (of some sort)
DSC_9933.jpg

(10) Vulture (of some sort)
DSC_9937.jpg

(11) Bald Eagle
DSC_9980.jpg

(12) Bald Eagle
DSC_9982.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic shots!!! Well done! :D

My picks of the bunch are #1 #2 #5 & #7 (y)

Number two really is a great shot!

An absolutely stunning set, I have bought an annual pass this year so will be down there alot more and see my shots improving (I think) with every visit...

May see you down there some time!

Lovely shots, i must get up there again.

Great set of shots, it's only about 40 miles from em and I haven't been there either (yet :D)

Ken get down there it a great place:)

I make the 40 mile trip 2-3 times a month. Become a member then visit for a hour or 6

Great set, Love the Eagle Owl. Lucky he hates cameras and sometimes if there is a few people they don't let you take photos of him as he can freak.

Yep its a Tawny Owl and his name is Troy. He is also on Facebook:)

Thanks for sharing a great set.

They're all good but i particularly like the Tawny Owl and the Kestrel comes a close second.

It's a great place to practice, practice, practice BIF....the Kestrel is great, and a wild bird too! Nice also to see Cheyenne the Bald Eagle doing her usual song at the end of her flight. They sometimes do photographers' days (at a cost, of course) where they fly owls over your head, etc., so maybe convince someone for a birthday present!

Thanks very much for all the kind comments. It was my first proper outing with a new lens, which is taking quite a bit of getting used to, hopefully the ratio of in/out focus shots will improve over time.

I'll definitely be going back, it would be great to join some of you if there is a TP meet executed. Artyman - get yourself down there man! No excuses, Spring is upon us :D

Heron, bald Eagle and last Eagle shot are fantastic, well done!

Back