Hawk Conservancy Meeting 7th July...

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
7 boys and girls from TP met up today for a general chinwag and a day of togging with some stunning birds and for me at least some very challenging conditions, grey, overcast and very fast moving birds.

How you guys get the Lanners and the faster moving BoP I really don't know but I tried!

It was also my first attempt at manual focusing on the 100-400L with a 1.4x convertor, I'm happy with my results although they were stationary :LOL:

As much as I would love to post some shots for crit we agreed earlier to post all the photo's in one thread so we wouldn't be bombarding the Birds section with meet photo's...

I've had a quick run through the photo's of the day and have narrowed my favourites down to nine, although there will be a number of people posting if anyone could spare some crit I would be extremely grateful :D

A number of my shots had extremely dark backgrounds so have pretty much blacked those out...

Here goes.

1) Barn Owl
IMG_1162.jpg

2) Secretary Bird
IMG_1089.jpg

3) Gyrfalcon
IMG_0894.jpg

The Herons all handheld with 1.4x tc manual focus.

4)
IMG_0920.jpg

5)
IMG_0913.jpg

6)
IMG_0909.jpg

Last edited:
A very well taken set of shots there, love the owl landing on the post, very sharp and colourful.

WOW! I wish ANY of mine had turned out this good! I love the second one - the secretary bird. Stunning colour and gotta love those eyelashes!

I never knew they had lashes until I looked at the photo...

He must have a complex looking like that and being called Dave, it was Dave wasn't it!

Great set Ryan, I like them on black. Mine came out mostly against a bright white sky, I guess it's all camera settings.
My full set can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/n1kcy/sets/72157624320298337/

1. Heron (Darran, this one was with the 2x converter)
hawks.jpg

2. Secretary Bird
hawks (1).jpg

3. Vulture
hawks (2).jpg

4. Barn Owl
hawks (3).jpg

5. Burrowing Owl
hawks (4).jpg

6. African Fish Eagle
hawks (5).jpg

All feedback welcome.

7. Peregrine Falcon
hawks (6).jpg

8. A red kite
hawks (7).jpg

9. A black kite
hawks (8).jpg

10. Bald Eagle
hawks (9).jpg

11. Burrowing Owl
hawks (10).jpg

12. Tawny Owl
hawks (11).jpg

Helena, how cute is that baby Great Grey! I didn't even see him...

Kev, I'm not even going to comment I look awful in those shots :LOL:

Ryan I think you have captured the day very well with your shots.

Must take a visit soon, wehn funds allow me to :thinking:

Kev, I love the one with the horse, surprised we've not seen more of him.
And Helena, Ryan is right that baby owl is a so cute.

Very nice photos guys.
Ryan - nice to see you both got some good shots, your efforts paid off using manual focus.
Helena - looks like you took away some good advice with you as I think you've done far better than you expected :)
Kev - are any of those taken at 500mm because they look sharper than I expected with the 150-500.
Nicky, the 2.8 and 2x converter is very tempting now I have seen your results.
Well done with black Kite with the food, looking forward to seeing more of your photos.
I'll post some of mine later, I've not even had a chance to dump them on the PC yet!

Last edited:
Excellent pictures everyone. Wish I could have come. So**ing work!

Great photos everyone. I really love the secretary bird shots, its just such an interesting bird.

Some absolute stunners there folks, still got to find time to go through mine, I keep getting side tracked.

I've finally had a chance to go through mine.
Far more deleted than kept but I will be going back on a day with better light.

4774926779_c669e027af_o.jpg

4775561408_07cdee2916_o.jpg

4775562068_6749a69261_o.jpg

4774927483_909a2d10e1_o.jpg

4775561848_eb3e8b9c43_o.jpg

4775584202_fce2bde175_o.jpg

great shots Darran, I particuarly the bald eagle & the horse one.

Ingrid I love the 2nd photo, you did a much better job with the Peregrine than I did.

great shots Darran, I particuarly the bald eagle & the horse one.

Thanks Nicky, I've found a few more that I quite like.
Nailing birds in flight is certainly going to take some practice but hopefully my next attempt will be better.

4778423302_945fcc3014_o.jpg

4777789311_f82ed324b4_o.jpg

4778422794_dc2ae9777e_o.jpg

4778422946_879bbebae6_o.jpg

You're not doing and bad job Darran (y) some good pictures there.
Peregrines, well I have had a bit of practice ;) they are are my faourites :love:
Quick tip, if you watch the bird and try and work out when it will turn you will notice it stalls for a split second before gaining speed., track it and hit shutter at that point.

Last edited:
Number 5 is a great pic, really sums up the day.

Ingrid, there is definately something weird happening to your pics and it's pixelating them quite badly. Is it just me? I know you take excellent photos but they are not being done justice.

Back