Hawks Ice Hockey Sun 14th

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
From last sunday Blackburn Hawks v Newcastle.
I didnt get as many action as I wanted and most are sportrait type shots.. But its early days and I am relatively new to Ice hockey. The ratio of action to sportrait should change as I go along.

Taken with a canon 1dmkIII and canon 300 2.8L from the seating area. All at iso 2500 and f2.8 .. Shutter varied from 1/250 to 1/320 as it was slightly darker at one end.. All shot in Manual.

All shot in JPG .. In photoshop cs2 I only used Dust/Scratches to remove noise. I then use highlight/shadow to show the ice.. I used auto WB to take the shots and find this combo best.

More on my website.. All pics will print perfect to 7x5 and a good few to A4 .. I am happy with that from within an ice rink :)

All comments appreciated ...

hawk1.jpg

hawk2.jpg

hawk3.jpg

hawk4.jpg

hawk5.jpg

hawk6.jpg

Hey,
I just had to come and comment on the hockey shots... can't leave photos from that sport with out a comment *hehe*

Even if you do have to go all the way to ISO 2500 and still have to use f2.8 and have the shutter speed quite slow. It must mean the rink is quite poorly lit, saying that the noise doesn't show so it is all good.

I agree with your comment that many of the shots are sportraits - and not really action shots. But you've taken plenty of super sports shots, so all it takes is some time to get to know the game and knowing the individual players will be a great help. As you will know when to expect a good hit or shot...etc.

From these images you've posted here, I have to say that the second one is the pic of the lot. It's got the action and you can see the faces of the players.
The first image would've been nice, except the second player is sort of cut-out as he is behind the first one.

Also had a look at your website, for more images and I think in some of the 'on goal' shots. You could have been better of with f3.2 as quite often the player seems out of focus on those images. This could have something to do with the angle you shoot from as well and maybe even the shutter speed.

But very nice set of images, and quality wise excellent!

How do you find working with only the 300mm - don't you think it restricts you a little as you can not zoom in the action or zoom out. There must be many times when the action just gets too close for the 300mm to handle it?
I know you had the Sigma 120-300, although for hockey I think it is left wanting a little more AF speed, but IF you can get yourself a little close to the ice and arm yourself with 70-200 f2.8 - that would be perfect.

Cheers Goo :)

Its poorly lit but seemed better than last year when I went a couple of times.. stadia manager says the lighting/bulbs? go as the season progresses and dont get replaced....erk:( However it was very bright right at one keepers end and dim the rest... I had to keep flipping between shutter speeds and sometimes couldnt keep up.

Yeagh the 300 is limiting.. but handles the lighting so well. the 120-300 would have been ideal but wouldnt have produced as good images based on what I am about to say next....

I can get behind the player benches with no plexi and slightly elevated.. too close for the 300.. I tried my sigma 70-200 and I threw the lot away. I dont think the siggy handles the high iso too well. I am going to borrrow a canon 70-200 for next sunday. If that produces as good quality as the 300 only more versatile then I am getting one :)

Watch this space as they say.... and thanks for the coments.. much appreciated: )

Very nice KIPAX - Quite fancy doing some Ice Hockey shots myself but I think my max of ISO 3200 would struggle (even with 300 2.8)

Still nice to see :)

Just to add.. dont know if other ice hockey togs do this? The hawks supporters club are going to be selling prints from there stall on matchdays.. They tell me that sportraits or 2 player pics sell best rather than general action... So I ahve to photograph a mikxture.. some for the paper. some for the supporters club :)

Very nice KIPAX - Quite fancy doing some Ice Hockey shots myself but I think my max of ISO 3200 would struggle (even with 300 2.8)

Still nice to see :)

I did a couple of games last year with a canon 1dmkII.. have a look on my site at anyhting pre this month in ice hockey. Plus not all arenas are as bad as mine for lighting.. I ahve seen other arenas pictures at lower iso and 400 shutyter :)

I hadn't realised until coming on this forum what great 'shapes' can be captured in ice hockey. Just a shame about working with the low light levels!

These are impressive to my untrained eye although it's disappointing that the lads in #6 have dropped their handbags.

Cheers Goo :)

Yeagh the 300 is limiting.. but handles the lighting so well. the 120-300 would have been ideal but wouldnt have produced as good images based on what I am about to say next....

I can get behind the player benches with no plexi and slightly elevated.. too close for the 300.. I tried my sigma 70-200 and I threw the lot away. I dont think the siggy handles the high iso too well. I am going to borrrow a canon 70-200 for next sunday. If that produces as good quality as the 300 only more versatile then I am getting one :)

Watch this space as they say.... and thanks for the coments.. much appreciated: )

I think once you get to try to Canon 70-200, you will want to get one. Over here I see every Canon Hockey Tog having that as their choice of lens. You do have the 'real' pro shooters who go more for the Sportrait images who use the 300mm. If I were still in the UK, I'd let you have a go at the 120-300 and 70-200 in a game and see what you think of them.

If you do get by the plexi in the corners, and have two camera-bodies, something like 24-70 gets you nice images and a different angle on the sport.

Looking forward to your Sunday shots and hearing your thoughts about the 70-200!!...myself - have a game tomorrow and on Friday. Weekend reserved for Basketball and Football (+maybe a hockey game as well:LOL:)

Just to add.. dont know if other ice hockey togs do this? The hawks supporters club are going to be selling prints from there stall on matchdays.. They tell me that sportraits or 2 player pics sell best rather than general action... So I ahve to photograph a mikxture.. some for the paper. some for the supporters club :)

For fans the Sportraits do sell better, unless you've caught a good fight image or celebration of an important goal.
I suppose that the way to go if you are getting images for the Fan-Stand for sale..

I sometimes find it difficult early on in the season, as I try to get some stock images of players - then I often find that the following of the game and getting the images for papers gets less attention and I won't have that many shots to choose from for the papers...

Well I tried the 70-200.. I stood right on the side with the players... Got to say not all that impressed... The ease of use for composition was great. I did the first 20 with it... But apart from a score celebration that came towards me I will probably throw the rest away,... pics from 4 rows back using the 300 are very different.. more clear and better colours... I used the same body and setting for both.

Well I tried the 70-200.. I stood right on the side with the players... Got to say not all that impressed... The ease of use for composition was great. I did the first 20 with it... But apart from a score celebration that came towards me I will probably throw the rest away,... pics from 4 rows back using the 300 are very different.. more clear and better colours... I used the same body and setting for both.

Surprised to hear that, but everyone likes a different way to take pictures. I suppose that's why there is such a range of lenses and stuff.
I have to say that being right by the players.. (think I saw what you meant on some of the images on your website) isn't the best place to get good action shots IMO.

Especially if you are sort of between the benches, you'll be facing the backs of the players quite a lot. Although with bit of freedom to move around, you can get some great shots of the goalie in action.
Also you can get some pretty awesome neutral zone action shots as well..

I think that the 70-200 comes to 'life' when you get behind the goal, that's when it covers most of the range you want your shots from. And I am sure you've guessed, that's where I usually get the shots from.

But i think you've found in 300 the lens you are comfortable with for this sport, so stick with it until something better comes along...;)

Maybe you just should not have sold the 120-300...:thinking:

I think that the 70-200 comes to 'life' when you get behind the goal,

That would require decent plexi though.. here it is manky.. real poor, not just dirty but so many marks.. If it was good clear then that might be a way for me.

Maybe you just should not have sold the 120-300...:thinking:

hehe yeagh i got good range with that for all shots at ice hockey... tsk :)

I am going to struggle this week now my 1dmkIII is broken :( 2 weeks using the 1dmkII with lesser iso... oh dear.

That would require decent plexi though.. here it is manky.. real poor, not just dirty but so many marks.. If it was good clear then that might be a way for me.

hehe yeagh i got good range with that for all shots at ice hockey... tsk :)

I am going to struggle this week now my 1dmkIII is broken :( 2 weeks using the 1dmkII with lesser iso... oh dear.

Just a thought, as you are taking pictures with the clubs permission...
You could ask if you would have a chance to go and clean the plexi, I've seen some guys here in FInland work WONDERS on a dirty plexi.
And, yes even getting the marks off it...
They seem to have a little 'trick' up their sleeve to do it.. so it would be worth a try for you as well..

Good luck with the MKII (that's what I use.. but I know - better light) this week!!!

By the way, which Ice Rink is this one - I am not that familiar with the UK rinks, but would like to know anyways!

Last edited:
i tried cleaning it from my side :)

Blackburn.. http://www.blackburnicearena.co.uk

local paper does writeups and they used a pic this week..
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/icehockey/

original : http://icehockey.fotopic.net/p53743240.html

the pic looks better in the paper than it does on there website.. dont know what they do but looks terrible on the papers website even when you click on story :(

:nono: The trick is to clean it from the other side as well... not just with ordinary window cleaner, but with something with a bit more 'kick' to it.
Just ask the guys who use the Zamboni, I am sure they would be OK with you going to the ice after they've cleaned it.
You might be positively surprised at the results of a simple clean!

OUCH ! the pic on their website looks...well, not good. The original one you've posted the link to is good one. Clear, clean and sharp.. just what I've come to 'expect' from your images.

Unfortunately the Finnish papers I take images for quite rarely post them to the web (or if I look at your image, I think it maybe a blessing in disguise), but the ones I see in the prints are pretty decent.

Back