Hazy summer scene

Grave Robber

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Trying to convey the late (just before sunset) summer haze, not sure if it works :thinking:

P6011377e.jpg

Less sky and more foreground, no interest in the sky or you could try a graduated tabaco filter

Last edited:
Thanks Harry, I have no filters and if I did wouldn't know how to use them! Maybe it's time to invest in some ...

I dissagree. The sky:ground ratio is good, but there isn't much to lead into the shot. The tabacco filter is a good idea... that or an ND Grad will work well I feel.

Well I like it. And I like the way the dog looks like a chupacabra.

I rather like it to

Very nice shot indeed, has lots of mood and atmosphere, like the end of the world or something.

Like this Mr Bishop?

P6011377e1.jpg

Cropped picture to remove featureless sky

Contrast masked (copy to new layer, invert and de-saturate, set blending mode to overlay and then blur with gaussian blur at around 125px)

Flattened image

Corrected colour with auto levels (gasp!)

re-filtered it with a subtle yellow orange tint as previous was too strong

Sharpened

HTH?

Last edited:
You just undid all my hard work in making it hazy! Think we're on different wavelengths - I want it to look soft ;)

lol.

you may be right!

I was going for haze in the distance but the subjects of the shot still sharp.

I guess if soft is what you were after then you hit the nail on the head!

For me I need a little more sharpness as the first version looks a little murky and I find it hard to make out the dog and tree really.

lol.

you may be right!

I was going for haze in the distance but the subjects of the shot still sharp.

I guess if soft is what you were after then you hit the nail on the head!

For me I need a little more sharpness as the first version looks a little murky and I find it hard to make out the dog and tree really.

Maybe that's the difference between seeing the event and having it in your mind, and just looking at the photograph. That's why it is good to get feedback on here. I'll post a link to the original and you can play with it if you like ;)

You just undid all my hard work in making it hazy! Think we're on different wavelengths - I want it to look soft ;)

Ah my apologies too then, I too actually had the front to think the haze was already in the photo ..lol. ;)

That was a very small file you put up, and this is little rushed by me, bit too much soft filter on some parts me thinks. ... but kinda nearer the processing I was thinking of.

195350TP.jpg

Edit ...looking now it doesn't exactly pop like I thought of ... but it looks nicer for me...its a nice shot, I like it even more now I've spent time with it. :D (y)

Last edited:
Right above you is a link to a bigger file! I quite like the way you made it look like mist - have another go :)

I've kinda had enough of it ta, You've got some ideas though yes?

You can just put the full size image into some webspace and link to it (usually get some free with your BB, you'll need a ftp loader to copy it in ... it'll open in a fresh browser widow at full size if you click on its address.... Like this for your image on my free space ..
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/optiflow/195350TP.jpg

...you sure thats not mist, just excessive use of the soften tool then.:nuts: ;)

Last edited:
I didn't put a haze on it - the haze was there, and it was more oranagey than it looked in the photo. I tried to bring it out by adjusting the levels, nothing more. Anyway thanks for the tips I think I'll have another go at it when I have time :)

Back