HDR 1st & 2nd attempt

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Thought I'd better get around to having a go at this HDR thing - both of these are from the same image rather than bracketed ones as I only got the program today hence I've not shot any bracketed images as yet

First is deliberately OTT just to get an idea of how it works

HDR_first_attemp.jpg

This one's still a quick first play, but the intention is to explore the HDR abilities rather than simply go wacky

HDR_2nd_attempt.jpg

CC more than welcome (y)

Yup first is way too ott. Also, you're getting an idea of how to tone map an image, not HDR it. 2nd is better but the clouds are still a bit too over cooked.

First one was from a smallish jpeg so I punished it before the tone map (thank for the correction Pete, new terminology to me), I just pushed the 'max' button on pretty much all the options for a laugh

2nd is from one raw file and was very high contrast to start with

I'm now looking forward to going out & about to shoot just to try this effect - from Pete's work it's obviously good on buildings & dramatic skies - so might be a good reason to revisit Salford Quays soon

Like em(y)

the 2nd shot looks fantastic mate...

Hi DD, right, you know I dont "get" it...haha
But I do prefer the first one. Yeah I suppose it is a bit OTT. but having seen several people do HDR, its nice to see a shot that is asking "what did i do wrong/how can i make it better" rather than "isnt this a fantastic shot"
I have seen the 2nd one, "normal" and I prefer it "normal" I think the clouds are a bit overcooked in both...BUT...I prefer the first one!
Now go and read the manual! :)

Cheers all - having read the manual now, it all makes more sense of how to & what to shoot too

What did they say then, Dave... dont shoot landscapes and people and leave it for architecture??

I dont seem to have any luck with landscapes with HDR. :shrug:

Back