Critique HDR Experiment (re-shoot - post #19)

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I know many people don't seem to like HDR photography but it's something new I wanted to try so I'd appreciate some feedback, positive or negative on the first shots I've attempted this week.

I'm aware of the rather annoying lens flare in the middle of the 2nd and 3rd shots, I think it may have been something to do with the cheap ND filter I was using (didn't want to spend big until I found out if I was going to use it first)

Any and all constructive feedback is most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 807 View attachment 808 View attachment 809

2 and 3 are superb (y) makes me want to have a rummage :D

Personally I'm not keen on number 1 - it has that very flat shadowless coloured pencil look to it.

I really like 2 & 3 though. Lovely depth and I think they're helped by the various reflective surfaces and objects.

Many thanks for the constructive replies @dinners & @Pinkbikerbabe , I understand what you mean about the differences in depth.

The only difference between how the 1st and 2nd & 3rd shots were taken and edited is the use of the ND filter in the latter two, could this indeed be the cause for such a difference in the quality of the images?

Lastly, do you think the lens flare was due to the poor quality filter or how it was used? and is there anything I could do to ensure I don't get flares in future?

I like them all. Do you have a lens hood? I recently had some lens flare trouble on night shots, and since using a lens hood they have been reduced.
Thanks @martinfuge , I do have a hood for that lens but thinking about it's application, I'm unsure if it would fit with the filter holder in place (square slide in filters as opposed to round screw in type)

I like the cluttered work bench ones, this sort of interior scene does suit the process and shows great detail.

I like HDR processing, it really suits these photos especially the garage ones

no 1 looks like its from a game i like it ,love number 2 only thing i would like was more of the austin in the photo was it hdr machine or silver efex software you used?

I'm a huge fan of HDR - I love the drama you can add to simple shots, but as many have said (and as I have proved!), you can overcook it. Like many have so far said, I think no 1 has become quite flat through using HDR, when a single exposure would probably have created more depth. But 2 and 3 - wow! Really like the scene the effect has created, and it's added mood in so many ways. The saturated colour would put some people off, but I love the 'interpreted' look. Good stuff!

As most others have said, I like #1 but I love 2 and 3! :clap: What software did you use?

Thanks for the kinds words and critique folks, the processing was all done using the standard HDR in photoshop CS6, it's the first time I've really used it properly and the latter two shots were the first time I'd ever used the ND filters.
Unfortunately I didn't have mush of a choice in composition for the "garage" shots as they were taken in a museum and directly below the camera was a 3ft tall clear perspex barrier to stop people entering the scene.

I do like these, but the garage one's are the best of the bunch for me, HDR isn't everyone's thing but what is there not to like about those shots (y)

Back