HDR help needed please!

andy_fozzy

SPAM Merchant
Name
Andy!
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
Starting to delve into the world of HDR.

Just took a shot out of my window using the BKT feature of my camera.
Fired 3 shots (JPEGS) loaded them into CS2 and it produced a decent shot.

BUT!

Why can't I do any editing to the shot?
And why can't I save it as a JPEG?

:thinking:

I know I'm probably asking a dumb question, sorry :nuts:

Ok, just answered my own question, almost!!

Changed the mode to 8bits.
Job done :D

In my opinion photoshop isn't the best for HDR, Photomatix is a popular choice, I'd also recomend Dynamic photo HDR. Wayne

You should also check out Ben wilmore, he's the HDR GOD.

http://thebestofben.com/
http://digitalmastery.com/
http://www.whereisben.com/

The HDR Mastery DVD on the digital mastery site is a must have, it goes into great depth of all the techniques involved, including PS and more importantly photomatix, tone mapping plugin for PS.

He has some seriously amazing work, like the petrol station on Route 66. I love that image. But imho he also has some things where its your classic HDR cliche. Everything set to max and the image is softer than a group of freshly washed carebears with fabric softner.

6a00d8341eab6d53ef010535d552a5970c-800wi

I'm quite amazed that made it into a high profile photo comp. Maybe it only works blown up but I just can't make anything out.

He has some seriously amazing work, like the petrol station on Route 66. I love that image. But imho he also has some things where its your classic HDR cliche. Everything set to max and the image is softer than a group of freshly washed carebears with fabric softner.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

6a00d8341eab6d53ef010535d552a5970c-800wi

I'm quite amazed that made it into a high profile photo comp. Maybe it only works blown up but I just can't make anything out.

Sometimes things can be a bit 'overdone', and that certainly seems to be the case here.....

As you say, perhaps better full size :shrug:

I really don't rate Ben Wilmore to be honest but maybe it's just because it makes his photographs look more like illustrations. I do like the one of the petrol station but other than that it reminds me of searching for "tonemapping" on flickr. My eyes still burn :(.

I really don't rate Ben Wilmore to be honest but maybe it's just because it makes his photographs look more like illustrations. I do like the one of the petrol station but other than that it reminds me of searching for "tonemapping" on flickr. My eyes still burn :(.

Actually, I'm not so sure about his work now.
Just had a look through his sites and as you say, his shots look illustrated,
and very fake.

To save me searching, is there a general HDR thread?
Lot's of question I'd like to ask, but it might be better to have a general chat type of thread for them?

If you can search by locked thread then i'm sure you'll find them ;) We don't have a general HDR thread. It would be easier to have a general "Why Hitler was good for the gas industry" thread.

If you can search by locked thread then i'm sure you'll find them ;) We don't have a general HDR thread. It would be easier to have a general "Why Hitler was good for the gas industry" thread.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Point taken!

Cheers.

Wilmore does actually go for an illustration look in his images, it's his style, i like it myself others don't, but you can't deny the guy is bloody good.

But my reason for the post was more for the HDR mastery DVD, as all of the techniques apply to either style, illustration or photographic, he even goes into detail on how to get either effect right.

As i'm only a beginner into photography, and into PS, the HDR is yet another thing i want to learn, but i'm havin a go and finding i'm enjoying taking the initial images, creating the HDR file and then manipulating the image in PS, and with Wilmore tutorials i'm getting better and better. when i produce something i'm really happy with i will definately post on here for you folks to rip apart :D

Wilmore does actually go for an illustration look in his images, it's his style, i like it myself others don't, but you can't deny the guy is bloody good.

But my reason for the post was more for the HDR mastery DVD, as all of the techniques apply to either style, illustration or photographic, he even goes into detail on how to get either effect right.

As i'm only a beginner into photography, and into PS, the HDR is yet another thing i want to learn, but i'm havin a go and finding i'm enjoying taking the initial images, creating the HDR file and then manipulating the image in PS, and with Wilmore tutorials i'm getting better and better. when i produce something i'm really happy with i will definately post on here for you folks to rip apart :D

The guy is BLOODY good, and very clever.
I'm like you, I really want to know more about HDR.

I've been working on THIS one for a couple of days.
Not brilliant, but it's my first ok-ish HDR.
The start of a beautiful relationship???? :D

Back