Hell all, question re lens and camera compatability

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

This is my first post, so apologies if this has been asked before( I did search to check!)

I have a Canon EOS 400D and a Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 DL Macro Super lens, the problem is that more often than not, the camera will not take the shot, saying it is not possible to take the shot and I get the ERROR code ERR99. The camera asks me to turn the power off or remove the battery.

Is there a way around this or do I need to buy a new lens ? I would appreciate any help. If I need a new lens could anyone suggest a replacement, that aint going to hurt 'my pocket' too hard ?

Cheers !!

try cleaning the contacts between camera and lens, thats usually the first port of call with these type of errors

Tried that, but still no success, how can I tell if a lens will work with a digital SLR, what should I be loooking for ??

I actually think that lens is film only. Best bet is to contact Sigma. Some they say will work, some won't and in some cases they can upgrade the lens to work.

Phil

BTW - all Canon EF lenses work with digital even if they are really old.

Cheers Phil, much appreciated. As you say I have had differing answers so I will try Sigma direct, Thanks again !

A quick test to see if it's outdated firmware in the lens.....

Use Av mode on the body and set the aperture value to the lens' widest aperture (make sure you have it at 70mm).....it should take the shot.

Change the aperture value to f/8 and attempt to take a shot....Err99 occurs.

This implies that the lens will not recognise the body's command to stop down the aperture to take the shot.

Bob

I actually think that lens is film only. Best bet is to contact Sigma. Some they say will work, some won't and in some cases they can upgrade the lens to work.

Phil
How can a lens know if its film or digital. :bonk:

If you don't have another lens to try on your camera - to see if it is a "lens issue", why not pop into your local camera store, explain the situation and see if they will let you try a demo lens in the store to see if the error occurs using a new lens :shrug:

I contacted Sigma UK recently regarding re-chipping a wide angle/macro lens and they said a big NO they had run out of chips, although they might do other models.

How can a lens know if its film or digital. :bonk:

Canon designed the EF mount and designs all it's cameras to maintain compatibility with older EF lenses.

Sigma reverse engineers the electronics which means the lenses it sells today should be compatible with today's models but certainly does not guarantee compatibility with future models.

Digital Canon SLRs are compatible with all EF lenses, but older Sigma's may only work with film cameras, or only certain older digital SLRs.

I recommend following Bob's advice on a quick test to see if compatibility is likely.

Phil

Back