Hello, back with a renewed interest in photography

Name
Kenneth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, not really good at all this introduction stuff but seems the polite way to introduce yourself onto a forum especially if you'll be seeking help.

Started an interest in photography back in my student days with a cheap Ricoh and worked my way up to Contax/Carl Zeiss lenses etc. Also used to do my own developing and printing without any great results I'd say. Interest wained as the digital revolution took place and its sat in my camera bag for the last ten years or more apart from a recent foray on a holiday.

I did buy an Olympus Pen EPL1 which has been used for family and holiday type snaps but nothing more really and nothing more sophisticated than Apple IPhoto editing.

As family now grown up and struggling with my more active pursuits and hobbies I've started to rekindle my interest in photography. Toyed with the idea of keeping my analogue equipment but my recent experience but weighing all things up I think the switch to full digital seems to be the way forward. however I,m hoping the discipline of having 36 potential images per film and the potential cost involved with processing that etc will stand me in good stead before pressing the shutter on my future digital camera/s.

Currently sat here awaiting the delivery of a Sony A7 ii with 28-70 lens package to get me started. My main interests previously were in the following areas:- urban environments, street photography and informal portraits and these will probably continue to be the main areas I will pursue.

The areas I will be searching the forum and asking for help will mainly in the first instance be:-

Editing packages - only used IPhoto to date and will probably want something a little more sophisticated. although it will need to be fairly intuitive as not particularly tech savvy or wanting to test the limits of what some packages will allow. Will probably want an outright purchase and will be happy getting to know that over a period of time as regular updates that a subscription package might entail will do my head in.

Scanning/printing - I've got a back catalogue of mainly B&W 35mm negatives that I'd like to digitise and play around with and then get prints done to display.

Sony A7 ii - hoping the basic principles of taking a good photograph haven't changed but will possibly need help with extracting what is possible with these all singing, dancing mirrorless cameras.

If you've read through all that then thanks for doing so. Will post threads as required in the relevant section if I can't get the answers I need through a general browse. Having spent a week or so trawling through a selection of threads I can see there is a good variety of forum members on here from the extremely helpful to the argumentative (I Like this although I don't tend to get involved) to people like myself who are re/starting out into the world of photography.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lucien, welcome :) sounds like you are back off to a good start!

Welcome, from someone else also rediscovering photography. (Although way back then, I never got beyond a Zenith E!)

By they way, your Contax/Zeiss lenses can be used with your A7ii (via a cheap, but effective adapter), so don't trade them away just yet.

Hi Kenneth, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy".

Welcome, from someone else also rediscovering photography. (Although way back then, I never got beyond a Zenith E!)

By they way, your Contax/Zeiss lenses can be used with your A7ii (via a cheap, but effective adapter), so don't trade them away just yet.

Thanks, camera not long arrived and just charging up. I suspect my first challenge maybe to change the language as its come from E-Infinity and a quick switch on had Chinese characters on the viewing screen.

I'd be very interested to know more about the lens mount adaptor. I've got them listed on EBay but as you say they may have a second life even if it's in the short to medium term as funds allow AF upgrades. However I'm so used to manual focusing they could get a permenant reprieve.

Thanks all for the welcomes so far.

Welcome back , You selected a good forum :film::welcome:

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Back