Hello Everyone, another newbie signing in

N77

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I am Carl and come in peace from the various Type R forums and was given the link by Kamion as I have just purchased a Canon 350D with the standard lens and a 70-300mm Sigma F4-5.6 APO MACRO too.

I am new when it comes to using an SLR but have brought it with my dad so hopefully he will be showing me the basics. I will be looking to use the camera at car shows and trackdays to take photos and put them on an online gallery I will be having ago at setting up in the very near future :D Have sorted the webspace and domain name (www.totheredline.co.uk) so need to set the rest up now.

First impressions of the site though is its very good, keep up the good work

Carl

welcome N77! Take a few minutes to read our simple rules and then make your self at home!

Hey Carl!

That's a fairly similar setup to me. The first bit of advice I'll give you (in fact that's probably your lot from me!) is that the Stigma is great up to about 200mm but then gets a bit soft from there on. But then if you want razor sharpness you buy a £1000 lens! Nothing wrong with that as long as you know that! :)

Welcome BTW.

Hi Carl

Glad you could make it over from CTRO.

I look forward to seeing some "arty" shots of your cosmic girl on here :woot:

by the way.....................I'm Stumpy on that forum :thumb:

Cheers for welcomes :D

Good to see people on here from the same forums.

Sorry about the sig size, blimey you are hot on them. I had 2 pms about it as soon as I posted up. I didn't think you would mind it a little bigger being its mainly text and not a picture as such.

Will change the size and put it back up or I may just leave it as it is :D

Well the camera and lens came today :D but the only thing I need to wait for now is the memory card :( claimed the freebie from Canon but also ordered a 1gb 100x CF card as well and will use my iPod Photo as part storage if need be :D

So can anyone recommend anywhere to look for tips and to learn the how to use some of the cool features

Just ask here Carl!

hi carl
pull up a chair, grab a coffee and enjoy your stay.
stevannie

:welcome: to the forums Carl :wave4:

Questions? We have planty of Answers that might be useful for you.

We also have plenty of questions with no answers ;)

Welcome to the forums :)

Hi :wave4:

This site has some good get you started stuff (your camera is a rebel xt on this american site... but you probably knew that :) )

Steve said:
We also have plenty of questions with no answers ;)

Welcome to the forums :)

... and plenty of answers to questions no one asked.

;)

Carl - long time no see. :)

If you're still reasonably local to me and we can get together at some stage, I can probably get you off to a good start with understanding your new camera if you need any help.

CT said:
Carl - long time no see. :)

If you're still reasonably local to me and we can get together at some stage, I can probably get you off to a good start with understanding your new camera if you need any help.

Carl, if you can't take a decent shot after CT has given you some coaching, you might as well throw the camera away :D

Hey Hiya CT

Not seen you for a while, we are having a meet at Star City if you can make it mate on Sunday at 2pm, then going for something to eat :D

Would love some tips mate if your up for it, yeah still local so no probs there. I saw you not too long ago at the usual spot on St James Bridge but I was stuck behind a few cars so you may not of noticed me.

Going to Donnington park on Sunday for a practice but I will probably chicken out and use the auto mode first I think lol

Carl

We've got visitors coming Sunday Carl, but PM me any time you want to get together with your new camera. It might be easiest just for you to pop round? :)

Cheers for the welcomes :thumb:

Can you point me in the direction of some threads that may have already been posted about setting up the camera in manual mode for taking photos of motorsport :D

I had ago last week at a track day at Donnington with the camera in auto mode and it took some good shots, very clear too. Then I took some at a different position where I had to use the manual focus due to a fence being in between me and the cars, the auto focus focused on the fence. So having not used manual focus before it took a bit to get used to it and some photos were sharp but most were blurred :whistle2: I used the continuous shooting mode and thought it was really good function and made use of it lol

What I would like to do is take some "speed" shots as the photos I took on the weekend didn't show a sense of speed, they looked still.

I maybe asking in the wrong section really but didn't want to start creating threads if this type of thing has been covered before.

Thanks in advance

Carl

start a new thread, plenty of advice to be had, start one in general!

Actually Carl, I wouldn't go for Manual mode. I'd use Shutter Priority. For some strange reason, Canon insist on calling it Time Value (TV), but in this mode, you choose the shutter speed and the camera makes sure you always have the correct aperture. The beauty of digital is that with TV Mode, you can always check your LCD screen and if you're not getting the degree of blurring you want, use a slower shutter speed.

Motorsport is largely a question of practice, you need to pick up the subject early in the viewfinder, and pan smoothly - keep on panning as you press the shutter button. It's surprising how low you can go with the shutter speed with smooth panning, and this often produces the results you're probably looking for - nice blurred background, blurred wheels and tyres but the car reasonably sharp.

Welcome... to a great site... you will enjoy..

Just to add to CT's post, it's a good idea to practice your panning before you get there. Pop down to the side of your nearest motorway and practice!

A monopod is also a worthwhile addition

evilowl said:
Just to add to CT's post, it's a good idea to practice your panning before you get there. Pop down to the side of your nearest motorway and practice!

Put on a yellow vest and just watch the braking :D Welcome aboard :thumb:

Hi from me too! Newer than Marianne - just....

Hi there Carl, a fellow Honda Owner! :) Mine's an S2000 though

Back