Hello everyone... please teach me!!

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

Well, my first post on these forums - and very nice forms they are too, good job.

My name is John, and I am from Newport in South Wales. I too run a vB forum - but mine is about brass music and is called www.themouthpiece.com if anyone fancies a look.

I was always interested in photography when I was younger, and recently - as the price of digital SLR's has reduced, I have once again become interested in learning all about the art of photography.

I have had a few small compact digital cameras - as have my kids, Nikon Coolpix and an Olympus model (forget which), but having these has rekindled my interest in SLR's and the 'good quality' stuff.

I am a total newbie to Digital SLR's, and have been looking around for what to get as my first real digital camera - and my lovely wife decided to purchase one for me for my birthday (which is tomorrow) - but as I am flying out of the UK on business for a few days tomorrow - she decided to surprise me and give it to me tonight. I am not the proud owner of an Olympus E400 - and it looks great. This was one of the models I had mentioned to her about and I had been looking at.

Anyway... enough rambling by me... I am very much interested in learning all about this camera, all about photography - and especially how to go about doing close-up and macro photography with it. I have no clue what to go for re close-ups, or what/where to buy any items, and so will be hoping that people around here can help me and point me in the right direction.

I look forward to chatting with many of you over the coming months...

Happy clicking... :)

John

Welcome to the forums John, a brilliant, in depth opening post.

Look forward to chatting to you too :)

WOW - some very quick responses, thanks very much - you sure know how to make someone who is new to this stuff feel very welcome, much appreciated.

I see I made a few typo's in my introductory post - apparently I am not the owner of an Olympus E400 !!! well... really... I am :)

Sorry for the typo's - I am so excited about this new camera I was obviously posting in far too much of a rush.

Thanks for the welcomes though everyone...:wave:

Howdy John :) I am always claiming I do and don't do the wrong things....if you follow.

EDIT - and dont respond if you do or don't because I still wont be sure :p

welcome

the guys are great on here.

ask any question and someone will know the answer.

Wow again... I don't think I have ever joined a forum and had so many 'welcomes' from so many people. This is wonderful... thanks all.

John

And there's more...

Hello :)

Prepare to spend money on your new hobby at an alarming rate ;)

And there's more...

Hello :)

Prepare to spend money on your new hobby at an alarming rate ;)
haha, hello Robert - I absolutely agree.

My other hobby - as you can maybe see from my avatar - are synthesisers and creating electronic/ambient/chillout music. This too is a darned expensive hobby and one can end up as I have, a gear freak, spending thousands on things that interest you.

I fully anticipate what's ahead... :)

Just don't tell the wife ;)

Hi and welcome :wave:

Thanks all.

I have just been reading through the forums and I see there's a monthly (annual really) competition with a different theme each month. I like the sound of this... what a cracking way to learn. Even if I don't think my images - which i am sure they won't as I am so new- will be anywhere near the standard of other entrants, it's a great way to learn.

I hope to be entering.

Welcome aboard!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Back