Hello from Scotland

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all.
I'm phil i live in beautiful Scotland and have always been into photography i finally got a bridge camera nikon coolpix b500 a few years ago after only using cheap digital cameras and phone cameras. My wife treated me to a second hand nikon d3400 dslr and I'm so excited about it.
I have no idea how to use it or anything about dslrs so any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you all for listening to my ramblings.

Hi Phil and welcome aboard.

Looking forward to seeing some shots from up north - I've missed getting up there this year (and for the past few years beforehand, for an entirely different set of reasons i'll not go into) - somehow the "being confined to barracks" has made me miss the wide open spaces more I think...

How's the D3400 working out...

It's a big transition from cameraphones and even bridge cameras to a full on DSLR - often people find that they almost end up taking a step backwards in terms of their results, purely because the camera has so many more options - and - often because they think "oh, i can take full control of the camera now, I'd better try and shoot everything in manual mode..." Personally, I don't subscribe to that - I'd "stick it on P mode" and get to grips with the rest of the options - auto or manual focus - and whatever lenses you have - when you're comfortable with that, start "adding in" extra bits - try Aperture Priority (A on the dial) for stuff like portraits where you want a shallow depth of field, set the Aperture and let the camera do the rest. Or - for stuff where you need to "stop movement" try Shutter Speed priority (S on the dial). Play around with those options, get to know the hardware. Add in using exposure compensation for (say) backlighting, or for confusing scenes with high contrasts (a classic being the typical wedding Bride and Groom Shot - he's in a dark suit, she's in a white dress... Whatever you do, expose to get the details in the dress - she's going to care about it, he's not going to give a stuff if the pictures show the dark red shadow-stripes in the dark blue suit...)

And when you've got the hang of those, you'll already be thinking "hang on, I need to pin down more than just one part of the "exposure triangle" - what's that you say ... have a play here - https://dima.fi/exposure/ - and at that point, manual comes into its own...

modern cameras are marvelous bits of kit, speaking as someone who started shooting SLR Cameras back in the mid 70's with a completely manual film camera, they're just incredible. Don't be too precious about "must shoot manual" - an awful lot of pro's I know, won't use manual unless they're doing something fairly "outside the normal" , or are working in a studio with controlled studio flash lighting... Not dismissing it completely, just saying it's not something that you "must do" with a SLR - it's just another tool in the toolkit, and trying to keep to manual only will probably slow your learning curve of the new toy...

This has to be one of my favourite pictures i took this at bleardrommond on my coolpix on full auto and at full zoom was rather fun trying to keep the lens steady without a tripod.
I think thats the part I'm going to miss the most is the zoom functionality. But I'm really looking forward to learning the features on my dslr I'm still not sure what way i want to go as i like most aspects of photography from wildlife to scenery and macro.
Thank you for the information i will definitely take a good look through it all. FB_IMG_1571591885731.jpg

Hi Phil, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy".

Hi Phil, a friendly welcome from a Yorkie down south!
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your images.
You live in a beautiful Country, I miss being along on the West Coast by Oban way...

Welcome Phil from one "noob" to another. The highlands is where I'm happiest, love the whole area.

:welcome: from South Lanarkshire

where you based..?

:welcome: from South Lanarkshire

where you based..?
I live in Elderslie just outside Paisley i use to live lanark way very small world.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome i look forward to getting to know you all and you're lovely photos

Northumberland. We have friends in Lossie, and have spent many happy holidays all over Scotland, but the highlands is where we feel most at home.
I'm also a foreigner I'm a cornishman born and bread but my wife is a true scot.
I absolutely love scotland the scenery is to die for

Welcome aboard, I'm originally from the Welsh Valleys but now based in Ayrshire.

Welcome aboard, I'm originally from the Welsh Valleys but now based in Ayrshire.....

ditto ...almost..........;)

born in Llanharen - now live in South Lanarkshire

We're in Edinburgh. Good to see fellow Scots on this forum!

I worked in Glasgow for years. I miss the West coast. I was born there and now live in Fife.

I am new too. Hello!

Looks like we have a good scots gathering: ;)
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Back