Hello from St. Andrews

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
well actually, the title is a misnomer as I actually live at present in Stuttgart, Germany but St. Andrews, Fife is my home town and I also lived for many a year in Edinburgh and elsewhere. Thought it would be nice to join a forum which is not dominated by mud-slinging wars from across the pond --- OK I exaggerate just a bit ;)

Like all the geriatric generation, I started in the SLR world back in the 80's and could occasionally even be seen in a darkroom but became interested in digital quite early on and around 10 years ago started to take it more seriously. The Nikon D200 and 700 were weapons of choice but after a fling with m43, I settled five years ago on Fuji and have been pretty loyal ever since despite an occasional interest in fleeing back to Nikon now that they've finally gone mirrorless but without an actual lens system yet to consider. A photographer of much enthusiasm but little talent, I sometimes join clubs or evening classes in search of inspiration but finish up doing mostly landscape and family orientated stuff much of the time these days.

David

Last edited:
Hi David, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums."Enjoy".

"Trust me we're not all mud slingers from across the pond, I'm from TN (USA) but spend about half my time in the UK" :D:D:D

George.

Another welcome here too David!

(From another Jerry Hat Trick)

Hi David, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums."Enjoy".

"Trust me we're not all mud slingers from across the pond, I'm from TN (USA) but spend about half my time in the UK" :D:D:D

George.

don't worry, I know there are many of your fellow citizens who are not only courteous but often a mine of useful information as well! And spending half of your time in the UK certainly helps (hmm, not quite so sure about that one actually these days :confused:). I do post the occasional image from time to time if I think it might serve some useful purpose (such as???)

David

St. Andrews, Fife is my home town and I also lived for many a year in Edinburgh and elsewhere.

Welcome to the Forum David, from a fellow Fifer (now in Somerset).

I started my photographic career at Joys in St Andrews ( but based in the Cupar shop, which had the bigger studio and the darkrooms) which I suspect was probably still there when you started your interest, later I went to Univeristy in St Andrews (as part of my career change) and my Sister in Law ran the health food shop in St Andrews until a couple of years ago, and my sister works in Fisher and Donaldson, so many connections with St Andrews :)

It's not that long since I joined this forum and its a friendly and helpful place so you should enjoy it here :)

Welcome to the Forum David, from a fellow Fifer (now in Somerset).

I started my photographic career at Joys in St Andrews ( but based in the Cupar shop, which had the bigger studio and the darkrooms) which I suspect was probably still there when you started your interest, later I went to University in St Andrews (as part of my career change) and my Sister in Law ran the health food shop in St Andrews until a couple of years ago, and my sister works in Fisher and Donaldson, so many connections with St Andrews :)

It's not that long since I joined this forum and its a friendly and helpful place so you should enjoy it here :)

Well well --it's a small world indeed. I certainly bought a camera or two at Joys who sadly was replaced by some charity shop or other quite a while ago. I was briefly in the town's photographic society in the 80's. If your sister works in Fisher and Donaldsons, then it's rather likely I have been served by her as I tend to pop in for a fudge donut or Border Tart when in town.
Anyway, many thanks to yourself and the others who have been kind enough to post welcoming replies. I'm sure I will cross swords with some of you in due course! :ty:

:welcome: to the forum David, enjoy :wave:

Back